Knives & Stones TEASING ALERT: Syousin Knife Block Prototype

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Received a prototype recently: custom Syousin knife block, it would probably be the only knife block out there that holds 2x 300mm yanagi, 4x 270mm gyuto, and a chuka at the same time, if it ever made its way to the manufacturing line.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Why I say it is only a "teasing" post?

Being constructed of solid timber, it weights a whopping 3.6KG without any packing material. Finally shipping weight would probably be something like 4 to 4.5KG, which means I will probably never introduce it to the market due to the prohibitive shipping cost:eyebrow:

I really like the looks of it James. Just teleport one to me please!

Looks awesome! The only block I have found that works is a vertical block by TheBoardSmith before he stopped making them. Non-knifenuts don't seem to required storage for as many big blades as we prefer.

Build it and they will come ....

The market is crying out for this, James (the market all the knife knuts are a part of, anyway:)

Very astute design and I hope you can make this a reality :doublethumbsup:

for some reason i can't see the pics now, maybe its my dodgy "100Mb" cable?
Anyway, I'd try to upload again.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1wYbbu-oeNU_uVwvgMQ-A7H85TlR-g7hmxSQc1HM26w=w1081-h1045-no

1.jpg

Looks nice, but where did the cleavers go? :D

look at the bottom of the 3rd pic, you can see a sugimoto handle sticking out, that is where the cleaver go. It hosts a full size 220mm cleaver.

looks great, and it is hard to find one to suit long and/or tall knives. But I do imagine shipping would be a killer.

looks great, and it is hard to find one to suit long and/or tall knives. But I do imagine shipping would be a killer.

I can get them to AU at a reasonably cheap price, but still has no idea about how to get them to the states (where the bulk market is) with a reasonable final price.
If I could ever find a solution, I can then commit to the MOQ and make things happen.

This must be the first knife block I have ever seen that can accommodate a cleaver. Cool (and yes, I missed it when checking the photos) : )

I can get them to AU at a reasonably cheap price, but still has no idea about how to get them to the states (where the bulk market is) with a reasonable final price.
If I could ever find a solution, I can then commit to the MOQ and make things happen.

James, have an idea for you. Will send you a private message.

does it involve a US maker?

hope it doessssssssssssssssss

does it involve a US maker?

hope it doessssssssssssssssss

No it doesn't. The prototype was commissioned way before I have seen a broadsmith one. The stepped design (for handle separation and reducing overall size) was also an unique idea.
And as a Chinese, a cleaver slot is also a must, what make the block unique is, because of the stepped design, that cleaver slot could be used as a dual gyuto slot, as pic 4, making it more verstile.

The only issue i have with it is that i have 6 gyutos on rotation in mine plus a scanpan chef a couple of parers abd a bread knife. It just needs more capacity. Haha

Cool, updates:

For AU: 10 are being shipped to me, they will become available by mid July (when I come back from Japan).
For US: Tipped by Seth (thanks mate!), I am working to get it Fulfilled By Amazon, bulk shipment to the US and FBA suppose to give many much cheaper domestic rates as well. This is my first attempt to get things listed and shipped to Amazon so fingers crossed.
For EU: any tips? :p

I am still aiming at US$100 sale price, and hopefully with FBA, it could mean $100 shipped for many in the US.

J.

I will take one. Or should I hog two for my new kitchen :yammer:

Well, sort of, haha. I think 10 would be gone straightaway if both of you are getting 2.

yeah, sorted yours.

worse case I will just ship more to AU and less to amazon. I have 30 in a logistic warehouse waiting to be dispatched :p

If these are going to be available in the U.S. , I'd be in .

Back