Cleaver buying mistake...what now?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5370H55V

Reaction score
I've recently moved into a new apartment and was looking to buy a cheap cleaver to try out, mostly because of the posts by Andy777 and because my parents used a small cleaver almost exclusively. The CCK's are almost universally recommended, but apparently there was a price hike in the past and they are no longer the deal they used to be.
I saw good things about the Shibazi cleavers and was especially interested in the S208-2 for its size (206X90X2mm) and its stainless clad blade. I also read that the TP01-2 was the professional equivalent model of the S208 with a stainless handle which I preferred, so I jumped on that and ordered one for under $35 shipped.
The knife came today and when I opened it I realized my mistake... I forgot to check the dimensions! :bashhead:
While the length and height of the blade is comparable to the S208, the blade is much thicker at 3.3mm. This makes it more of a medium duty chopper (for me) instead of the slicer I was expecting.

So since I have no experience with cleavers, here's my question: Can a cleaver as thick as this one work as a all in one (though mostly slicing) blade, or should I look for a thinner cleaver for the task? Any other good recommendations out there besides the S208-2 for under $50?

Here are some shots of the TP01-2, I think its very well finished for the price.

The packaging and knife itself

These shots show the transition to the core steel (anyone know what type?)

Some shots to show the spine thickness

You won't get that effortless slicing, but I'm sure it'll still cut. Personally, I'd just hold onto it for heavier chopping duty and buy a thinner one as well.

You are right for sure, that is a medium weight all purpose cleaver. The red sticker on the blade indicates "chop bones behind here and slice in front." I have one very similar from the maker. Like "all purpose" anythings, they aren't always the ultimate knife for a lot of tasks but they will get it done when needed. This type of cleaver is very common in China.

No harm , no foul. YOu are now set for breaking down a crate's worth of whole chickens.
Start again and get a true slicer. Yes CCK has upped the price a bit, but hell if it isn't worth it at double??!! If you have any interest at all in kitchen work, you will NEVER regret buying one (1102, 2nd choice 1300 series). Just skip a few coffees out and you will have paid for it.
Just do it!

Back