Knives & Stones Honyaki Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have added a few honyaki blades to my site, you can see them here:
http://www.knivesandstones.com/honyaki/

Genkai_Moonnight_Fujiyama_Mizu_Honyaki_Yanagiba_270mm__28534.1434152518.1280.1280.jpg

Sakai_Takayuki_Syousin_Blue_1_Honyaki_Gyuto_240mm__05693.1434184423.1280.1280.jpg

I will be adding more blades to this section in the coming days.

Outstanding! I notice they do not have a pronounced hamon, like my Mizuno blue steel honyaki. Why is that?

You don't normally see hamon in blue steel, but it's there with the right angle of reflection. Reason being, blue steel has very tight HT temperature rage, so the differential HT does not yield a huge temp. difference therefore the lack of easily visible hamon. Blue 1 is the hardest to see, since it has the tightest temperature range.

Thanks guys, I wish I can take a better pic of the ringed gidgee handle, I think only a short video can truly tell how amazing they are!

U can see the details on my site. Yanagis by Genkai, and gyuto by kenji togashi :)

Its been a while to show off some Honaykis, so here they are:
a 21cm custom diamond shaped usuba, blue 2 honyaki with full corian, triple spacer handle by K&S
KNS%20Custom%20Corian%20handle%20triple%20spacer%20on%20Sakai%20Takayuki%20Usuba%20Hoyaki.jpg

KNS%20Custom%20Corian%20handle%20triple%20spacer%20on%20Sakai%20Takayuki%20Usuba%20Hoyaki%20a.jpg

a "Syousin White Flame" 300mm wide tako, full mirror polished white 1 honyaki. Forged by Kenji Togashi and sharpened by Hirosugu Tosa. With K&S handle, ebony, front and end corian, triple spacer design

KNS%20Custom%20Corian%20handle%20triple%20spacer%20on%20Syousin%20White%20Flame%20Sakimaru%20takohiki%20honyaki.jpg

KNS%20Custom%20Corian%20handle%20triple%20spacer%20on%20Syousin%20White%20Flame%20Sakimaru%20takohiki%20honyaki%20a.jpg

with cusomer's name engraved at the manufacturer
KNS%20Custom%20Corian%20handle%20triple%20spacer%20on%20Syousin%20White%20Flame%20Sakimaru%20takohiki%20honyaki%20c.jpg

Beautiful! Yea my kono blue#2 honyaki's hamon barely shows through. Wonder if theres any way to make it more pronounced maybe? Good looking knives!

Still waiting for a handle, you know I can't just throw a ho-wood to it right ;)

thanks for the hamon threads. I do realize that, some of those blades with more of a showing hamon, have a layer of clear lacquer like paint on top of the hamon line. I think it could be some special paint to bring out the hamon.

To be clear I mean the blade forward balance of ho. You put something heavy on the back of a light honyaki or zen ko knife and sad times and wrist problems await.

Anyone know why pics in hotmail will always die in a matter of days? Looks like the allow you to share but not really :(

There are people like ho for varies reasons, but in the end, artistic is part of honyaki knives. I really doubt I can sell any of my honyaki knives with a ho installed l. Certainly no on ever asked for it. So different market segment I guess.

I'm all for handleless Honyaki blades, not a big handle guy. The blade does all the work for me.

Back