Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse hollow grind?

Reverse hollow grind?

I am curious, and i am hoping that some of the everyday knife users will chime in. I was thinking that if the partial flat grind was on the edge of the holy grail, why not drop the flats behind the grind in some. With a slight(48") concave, would this help with food sticking without sacrificing strength behind the grind? This is just a thought and am in no way trying to "reinvent" anything, just trying to save some headache in the long run.

Thanks
    Mike

Mike, did you see my post about the "blended" shallow hollow grind?

No i did not, sorry.

I have no idea how that would work. Honestly. All I could add is conjecture, but that's definitely on the list of "try it and see" ideas.

nope not new

there are a few that lightly hollow a full flat or even a flat that was convexed int the edge

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    nope not new

there are a few that lightly hollow a full flat or even a flat that was convexed int the edge
    How did they work?

I am just wondering if it would help prevent food sticking and not sacrifice strength. I am going to try it on a piece i am making for myself to test...I plan on testing several designs before i try to sell any knives to anyone. I just want to test the waters so to speak, so i am not chasing my tail.

This should work fine but the effect will be marginal compared to flat except for realy thin slices, maybe...

This is how Takeda forges his blades. It works quite nicely.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I was just about to comment about Takeda's knives (at least his gyutos, dunno about the other types) using this approach. Works well for me.
    Len