Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse hollow grind?

Like a big fuller! great idea!

There are a few other Japanese makers (and Carter) whose knives feature a similar grind, but it is a mostly a by-product of grinding on 3' (or so) water wheel grinders or forging a blade to shape.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Of course, the question is whether after all of these centuries, the grind is still merely a by-product?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    There are a few other Japanese makers (and Carter) whose knives feature a similar grind, but it is a mostly a by-product of grinding on 3' (or so) water wheel grinders or forging a blade to shape.

Mine would be forged to shape. I plan on forging everything as close to shape as possible. Thought about making a jig to do this, like a fullering tool...exactly Daniel.

Anything that you forge in will eventually have to be ground out. On stuff this thin, I would think seriously about scraping or grinding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Mine would be forged to shape. I plan on forging everything as close to shape as possible. Thought about making a jig to do this, like a fullering tool...exactly Daniel.

Just curious, jm, have you handled a Takeda? They are forged to shape and only the edge is ground.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

No, I haven't. Is the rest of the blade left in its "as forged" state? Don't the Japanese smiths also "finish forge" their blades cold? That may work for them, but I am not going to hit a piece of cold blade steel with a power hammer if I can help it. Call me an old woman, but there it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Just curious, jm, have you handled a Takeda? They are forged to shape and only the edge is ground.