Quantcast
Reverse hollow grind? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse hollow grind?

Like a big fuller! great idea!

There are a few other Japanese makers (and Carter) whose knives feature a similar grind, but it is a mostly a by-product of grinding on 3' (or so) water wheel grinders or forging a blade to shape.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Of course, the question is whether after all of these centuries, the grind is still merely a by-product?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    There are a few other Japanese makers (and Carter) whose knives feature a similar grind, but it is a mostly a by-product of grinding on 3' (or so) water wheel grinders or forging a blade to shape.

Mine would be forged to shape. I plan on forging everything as close to shape as possible. Thought about making a jig to do this, like a fullering tool...exactly Daniel.

Anything that you forge in will eventually have to be ground out. On stuff this thin, I would think seriously about scraping or grinding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Mine would be forged to shape. I plan on forging everything as close to shape as possible. Thought about making a jig to do this, like a fullering tool...exactly Daniel.

Just curious, jm, have you handled a Takeda? They are forged to shape and only the edge is ground.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

No, I haven't. Is the rest of the blade left in its "as forged" state? Don't the Japanese smiths also "finish forge" their blades cold? That may work for them, but I am not going to hit a piece of cold blade steel with a power hammer if I can help it. Call me an old woman, but there it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Just curious, jm, have you handled a Takeda? They are forged to shape and only the edge is ground.

+ Reply to Thread