Where to buy a gyuto in osaka/sakai?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djd1984

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, so Hi everyone. I'm quite new in the field. My interest started Last year when I traveled to kyoto and bought an usuba from aritsugu and a santoku from shigeharu. Both were definitely on the lower end and costed jess than 100$. Now I got the chance to be in Japan again at he moment and tomorrow I'll go to osaka and hey for 2 nights.
This time I would love to but a gyuto (240 or 270mm) and I am willing to speND slighty more for it. 200 is no problem but I would like to be less than 300.
So my first question is: where shall I go? Is there a good store in osaka or must I go to sakai?
and my second : What shall I get? I would really enjoy a smaller producer, at least one which is hard to find in germany. As I have 2 decent German chef knives and I'd prefer it to be a bit thinner and Japanese looking.
Well thanks so much, and sorry about the short notice.
all the best,
Dominik

Knives aren't as accessible for a shopper in Japan as you might imagine, and keep in mind that gyuto are not traditional wa-bocho knives either, and so are also less frequent than your santoku, usuba, deba, etc. There are some places here and there if you google around, in Sakai or Osaka. The easiest option might be to have a look at Doguyasuji in Osaka, or even check the Dept stores. Really, though, the kind of stuff most people here would be after would be available through other channels, such as through online sales or direct contact with some makers.

Back