Quantcast
Duck Press?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Duck Press?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hanover, PA
    Posts
    35

    Duck Press?

    I'd never heard of or seen this before.

    Anybody with experience care to share some more detail?

    -d

  2. #2

    stereo.pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,787
    Deker,

    Grant Achatz' new restaurant Next had a Paris 1906 themed menu with a duck dish that used a duck press to create one of the best sauces I have ever had. Not exactly something for the home but it would come in handy in a restaurant that serves large quantities of duck.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    WildBoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    2,102
    Only ever seen one used on TV, but classic French and as stated above supposed to help make tasty sauces. SLT always seems to have one in the store; they sell for ~$2k. Would be interesting to see one made out of mokume... :-)
    __________
    David (WildBoar's Kitchen)

  4. #4

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,193
    An obsolete piece of equipment from a bygone era.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  5. #5
    Senior Member wenus2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    863
    The person who wrote that aritcle ceratinly presented the device and it's use as only a giant D-bag could.
    Must be one of those people that think meat is stores is harvested from low hanging branches by Santa's elves in the off-season.
    Last edited by wenus2; 08-10-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: D-bag is a bad word spelled out...
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Posts
    4,892

  7. #7
    Senior Member Line cooked's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn USA
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Deker,

    Grant Achatz' new restaurant Next had a Paris 1906 themed menu with a duck dish that used a duck press to create one of the best sauces I have ever had. Not exactly something for the home but it would come in handy in a restaurant that serves large quantities of duck.
    +1 on the sauce....it was silly

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    1,297
    Very old fashioned. Guess they didn't have thick ziplock bags you could run over with your pickup and fine screen collanders back in 1906.
    Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    The person who wrote that aritcle ceratinly presented the device and it's use as only a giant D-bag could.
    Must be one of those people that think meat is stores is harvested from low hanging branches by Santa's elves in the off-season.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Weehawken, nj
    Posts
    198
    a traditional way to do a salmis is to half roast the bird, carve the meat off, finish cooking it in the sauce, and then finish the sauce with the juice from the press and any liver
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    1,297
    That sounds a tad gruesome, yet very tasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousCowboy View Post
    a traditional way to do a salmis is to half roast the bird, carve the meat off, finish cooking it in the sauce, and then finish the sauce with the juice from the press and any liver

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts