Duck Press?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deker

Reaction score
I'd never heard of or seen this before.

Anybody with experience care to share some more detail?

-d

Deker,

Grant Achatz' new restaurant Next had a Paris 1906 themed menu with a duck dish that used a duck press to create one of the best sauces I have ever had. Not exactly something for the home but it would come in handy in a restaurant that serves large quantities of duck.

Only ever seen one used on TV, but classic French and as stated above supposed to help make tasty sauces. SLT always seems to have one in the store; they sell for ~$2k. Would be interesting to see one made out of mokume... :)

The person who wrote that aritcle ceratinly presented the device and it's use as only a giant D-bag could.
Must be one of those people that think meat is stores is harvested from low hanging branches by Santa's elves in the off-season.

Last edited:
Deker,

Grant Achatz' new restaurant Next had a Paris 1906 themed menu with a duck dish that used a duck press to create one of the best sauces I have ever had. Not exactly something for the home but it would come in handy in a restaurant that serves large quantities of duck.

+1 on the sauce....it was silly

Very old fashioned. Guess they didn't have thick ziplock bags you could run over with your pickup and fine screen collanders back in 1906.:biggrin:
The person who wrote that aritcle ceratinly presented the device and it's use as only a giant D-bag could.
Must be one of those people that think meat is stores is harvested from low hanging branches by Santa's elves in the off-season.

a traditional way to do a salmis is to half roast the bird, carve the meat off, finish cooking it in the sauce, and then finish the sauce with the juice from the press and any liver

That sounds a tad gruesome, yet very tasty. :lol2:
a traditional way to do a salmis is to half roast the bird, carve the meat off, finish cooking it in the sauce, and then finish the sauce with the juice from the press and any liver

That sounds a tad gruesome, yet very tasty. :lol2:

meat is gruesome. Thickening sauce with blood is a technique that's been around a lonnnnngg time, as with liver, most popular with game. We do a more modern variation of a sauce salmis when we do a cote du boef where we sear foie gras and blend it with beef jus. I've also done squab thickened with a liver/butter puree on a few occasions. It's good :)

Hey, that's they case some fish too. A number of the more tasty salt water varieties should NEVER be shown whole to the people who are going to eat them.:lol2:
meat is gruesome. Thickening sauce with blood is a technique that's been around a lonnnnngg time, as with liver, most popular with game. We do a more modern variation of a sauce salmis when we do a cote du boef where we sear foie gras and blend it with beef jus. I've also done squab thickened with a liver/butter puree on a few occasions. It's good :)

I've also done squab thickened with a liver/butter puree on a few occasions. It's good :)

That is such remarkably healthful and nourishing food, I can't even describe the benefits in one post.

A whole game bird, with liver and butter. It's like a nutritionists' wet dream.

Back