Media "Forged in Fire" premiers tonight

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
Anybody else gonna watch it? I don't know how I feel about a bladesmith competition that is under such crazy time restraints....
.... but I'm pretty sure Mareko Maumasi is a contestant. I'm pulling for him all the way.

Don't have cable, so I'm going to have to figure out how to stream it. Maumasi is supposed to be on the 7th episode on Aug 3rd, according to his facebook page. Murray Carter's facebook page also says he's going to be in one of the episodes.

(Also pulling for Mareko!)

Dave, I've been saying for a long time that a documentary on kitchen knife makers would be excellent. Let's start a go fund me page and do it!

I see my good friend Mace Vitale is one of the contestants! Go Mace!! But it looks like they are putting a lot of emphasis on Mall Ninja type weapons rather than cutting tools. Time will tell I guess.

Tonight is Katana night. Looking forward.

Anyone know how to watch it online or streaming? I got rid of cable months ago and this is the first time I actually miss it.

Looks like they don't let you watch it live unless you have a cable provider and can enter account info, but they may post the videos later if you don't mind waiting to watch them.

Dave, I've been saying for a long time that a documentary on kitchen knife makers would be excellent. Let's start a go fund me page and do it!

There is one, called Spring Hammer. I watched it on youtube, but I believed it got removed due to copyright issues. It was a fun watch, learned a lot (as a newbie).

It has been a bit more of talky talky like any reality TV, but interesting. Still watching, and not positive, but think the $10k is per episode I think, was originally thinking the season. Up to the katana stage.

The time frames are a bit extreme.

Anybody know who the contestants will be in future episodes? Looks like 4 smiths per episode and I think, 8 episode run...

In the opening lead in for the program, they had a quick montage of flash cuts showing smiths working in the future episodes. I wouldn't know most knife makers if I was standing next to them, but a few of these smiths looked like faces I've seen from kitchen knife maker's sites. One looked like Murray Carter? Couple others looked familiar too.

Tried to find it online but there doesn't appear to be much out there tipping off, or promoting future episodes. No press releases....no episode guides. Did see ssearching the web they put out requests to a lot of smiths through other more general forums..so they reached out to a lot of people. Guessing those that signed up agreed to some sort of confidentiality in their contracts. Anybody have any info?

Just saw it. Like Danny said the show is in a chopped format so there's a lot of jibba jabba but they are forging billets of steel into weapons. I think Murray is on the show. It's a light fun show a out knife making. The first episode was decent.

Just saw it. Like Danny said the show is in a chopped format so there's a lot of jibba jabba but they are forging billets of steel into weapons. I think Murray is on the show. It's a light fun show a out knife making. The first episode was decent.

I think they have the right idea.

I am personally a big fan of Chopped because handling adversity is what really separates the good from the great. My only criticism, and it's not a huge one, is that I wish it had less of the mall ninja feel; I understand what they're going for and who their audience is but talk of zombie slaying, the Steven Seagal-esque host and the non-ironic Metal Gear Solid level fetishism dont precisely align with my sensibilities.

I caught the first show last night, I found it ....interesting.

I'm going to call it right now - Murray Carter will win his episode.

Looks like "Genesis" will be streaming it. Not sure what kind of delay.

Looks like they don't let you watch it live unless you have a cable provider and can enter account info, but they may post the videos later if you don't mind waiting to watch them.

Anybody actually able to stream it?

Anybody actually able to stream it?

If you google for "forged in fire" s01e01 then you can find it.

I thought it wasn't a terrible compromise between appealing to the average viewer and showing reality (rather than tv reality) but at the same time I'm not sure it really does anything to say that the winner of each episode is the best craftsman there. Still at least they were explaining terms and there wasn't anything too bad, though requiring serration on the blades just made me cringe.

Yes. Genesis.and Icefilms both have the first episode available.

But I can't get into the whole reality competitive crap thing. May cherry pick some episodes.

"Knife Fight" is of course an exception.

I thought it wasn't a terrible compromise between appealing to the average viewer and showing reality (rather than tv reality) but at the same time I'm not sure it really does anything to say that the winner of each episode is the best craftsman there. Still at least they were explaining terms and there wasn't anything too bad, though requiring serration on the blades just made me cringe.

well if you ever got a chance to watch Top Shot (which was actually pretty entertaining), one of the things that was true pretty much across every season was that the guys who were ostensibly the best shooters (competition winners) were always outdone by the guys who could stand up to the weird **** that got thrown at them (military).

I suspect that the winning strategy for this show is to go as conservatively as possible with your design goals to get into the top two, then you could use the 5 day time window to really kill it.

Cool....I shall let google be my guide...

Yes. Genesis.and Icefilms both have the first episode available.

But I can't get into the whole reality competitive crap thing. May cherry pick some episodes.

"Knife Fight" is of course an exception.

No idea what Genesis or Icefilms is, but see previous point :)

Also: I'm with you on the reality stuff...and the exception for Knife Fight...just wish I still had access to it...haven't seen it in at least a year.

Back