White 2 Kagekiyo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been away for a little while, due to grad school kicking my ass. Has anybody ordered one of these? I just placed my order. If the grind is like the original blue 1, then this is the gyuto I've been waiting for.

I've been away for a little while, due to grad school kicking my ass. Has anybody ordered one of these? I just placed my order. If the grind is like the original blue 1, then this is the gyuto I've been waiting for.

Yeah, I recieved mine a week ago. Ive never used the blue version but I like mine alot.

Welcome back Jacob! No help on the knife here...just a bit of jealousy.

Welcome back Jacob! No help on the knife here...just a bit of jealousy.

I'll sell you something, if you want. ;) And thanks! This has been a tough summer term: 7 classes, including my thesis.

Do you still own that Kono Fujiyama Funayuki gyuto? I would be interested in hearing how these 2 knives compare one day if you dont mind.

I do indeed! I have sharpened it a couple times, but not enough to really change the geometry. A comparison could be in order, if I find the time.

Definitely interested in hearing about this, the only thing keeping me from the Kagekiyo line in the past was the price....

Definitely interested in hearing about this, the only thing keeping me from the Kagekiyo line in the past was the price....

Yeah I felt the same way. But the wh2 is only $350. IMO it represents tremendous value considering the handle quality, sayas w/magnets, level of F&F. You could probably find other large bevel knives that you like at the price point but the bells and whistles included with Kagekiyo made it an easy decision for me.

I have the 270mm Blue #1 and I'm really loving it. Moves through food extremely well. very happy with it, including the patina that is gradually building.

Oh definitely Labor, i was referring to the previous pricing on the all laquer stuff before this newest batch came around. Im considering them now because the price is within reach at this point :)

Z, Did Jon tweak it for your lefthandedness?

No. I got it from the BST....and I haven't used it with root veggies or large fruits yet...so I haven't noticed any steering. so, I might end up sending it to Jon for that reason one the fall comes around....first I need to get him going on my Watanabe.

Do you still own that Kono Fujiyama Funayuki gyuto? I would be interested in hearing how these 2 knives compare one day if you dont mind.

I'd be interested in this as well since I'm considering either of these two as candidates for a new gyuto in future.

i'm waiting for gengetsu to actually be in stock and also more affordable versions..

Im not worried about Gengetsu's being more affordable. Theyre basically perfect the way they are(were) considering the price. In the meantime, there's plenty of other fish in the sea.

Im not worried about Gengetsu's being more affordable. Theyre basically perfect the way they are(were) considering the price. In the meantime, there's plenty of other fish in the sea.

+1 gengetsu is definitely on my hit list. And them being out of stock only gives me more time to come up with a good excuse vis-a-vis the missus for buying another gyuto . . .

I picked the knife up form the post office, yesterday. Haven't had a chance to look at it, but it looks and feels perfect. I'll compare it to my Kono Fujiyama Funayuki gyuto first, since they are reasonably similar, once I have a chance to cook. Stupid grad school.

Very excited to hear about this! Currently have a Kono Fuji W#2 240 gyuto on loan.....and it's making me miss mine even more

I'm looking forward to hearing more about these as well. I'm looking for a wide bevel gyuto, and like price point of these.

Any update on these? Interested to hear how you guys are liking them....

I got a 210 kiritsuke-shaped gyuto that I'm very pleased with. It's a stunning knife for $320. Well made from tip to butt.

can someone comment on the handle please? i'm curious to find out if they get slippery or not, and how they are in pro enviornment. THankyou!

Handles are not slippery . Actually nice and grippy but I can see where your concern is. I just got my 270 sujihiki today. Performed amazing with tuna and octopus. Even did an onion and cleaned 20# duck breast. It was melting through anything in its path. Now I'm gonna get his ktip gyuto!! A lot of people are turned off by kagekiyo due to blade height but honestly, it's not that big of a setback, for the gyutos that is.

Nice, how's the height on that 270? U got the white 2 right? Any way to compare the handle to kochi? Like the thickness and how it feels etc. Thanx!!

well its a suji so I don't think I can compare it to, say a gyuto since gyutos handles are slightly bigger. Yes it's the wh2(bl2 way out of my budget) the handle is very different to Kochis burnt chestnut handle. Personally, I love burnt chestnut handles. The friction when in contact with moisture is unbelievable, especially those who are pro cooks. Now the kagekiyos handle is very interesting . Although it's too soon to declare any kind of judgement other than a first impression. I will say this. It does not have nearly as much "grip" as Kochis handles. That being said, the khii handles ( one piece of wood, right?) on the gesshin are not dainty or slippery by any means. Gosh it's just an amazing knife. The grind and attention to detail that Jon puts into this line , are phenomenal. Suji, check .K tip Gyuto, gotta donate more blood!!! :justkidding:eek:

So, I've used this for a while. First impressions, the 240 Kagekiyo is a good bit shorter than the 240 Konosuke Funayuki. Wasn't expecting that. The white 2 is probably exactly the same size as my previous Blue 1 Kagekiyo, but it's been a while since I owned that. The Kono Funayuki is a little taller, too. Edge retention between the two is about a wash, despite the steel difference (White 2 vs White 1). The Kagekiyo is a good bit thinner behind the edge and at the tip, and is a good bit thinner throughout the section of the knife. The Kagekiyo definitely cuts better, and feels great, being wonderfully balanced. The magnetic saya for the Kagekiyp is great. The handle is perfect on the Kag, and I love the plain lacquer. The Kono has very nice finishing, but the Kagekiyo is perfect. They are both nice knives, but the Kagekiyo is just better all-around. I'd prefer it if the Kag were a little longer and a little taller, but there's not much in it. Great knife.

Back