Nenox rehandle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
I've always been fond of the Nenox western handled knives, especially the gyutos. They are pretty pricey and have earned a "meh" reputation from a lot of forum members. A few months ago I snatched one up for myself. This one is the white Corian handled version 240mm. I've had a good time with this knife. The steel easily takes a nice edge and holds it for a surprisingly long time.
My biggest problem with it was the ugly handle. I've been trying to find a super-bright orange for a while, but had no luck. Mark at BurlSource recently had a nice sale on some dyed maple, so I pulled the trigger on some red maple.

I decided to do this one without pins. I saw someone do this recently and really liked it. This wood is gorgeous and has so much 3 dimensional figure to it. It's difficult to catch this with a photo. I very rarely do stuff for myself anymore, so this was a nice treat.
Thanks for looking.

Wow, very nice Chris! That's the first Nenox I wouldn't mind using.

Nice work! What did you finish the handle with?

Probably about 15 super-thin coats of Tru-Oil. I sand it with printer paper in between coats. I buff with a super-soft cloth wheel on the bench grinder and finally hit it with some Renaissance Wax for the final buff.

Does it glow in the dark? ;) Nice work!

Stefan

Ok, now that you have it handled, how do you like the performance? A little side note: I have a friend that use to work for Kellar (French Laundry) and he told me that his "go-to" knife was that exact one. 240mm w/ white corian handle. "Different strokes for different folks." :biggrin: :cool2:

Ok, now that you have it handled, how do you like the performance? A little side note: I have a friend that use to work for Kellar (French Laundry) and he told me that his "go-to" knife was that exact one. 240mm w/ white corian handle. "Different strokes for different folks." :biggrin: :cool2:

Thanks for the kind words ya'll.

Al, to answer your question about performance: I've gotta say I really like the knife. It does take and hold a nice edge for quite a while. Granted I'm not an active pro anymore, but I think it would hold up just fine.
The knife is definitely a bit pricey IMO at $535, I do think you could do better for the money. I consider myself lucky to have one second-hand. I've just always admired the profile and thought the handle shape was so cool-looking. I totally see myself holding onto this one for a while.
I wish they were more affordable so more people could try them out!

Back