smooth "ding" in new enameled CI staub grrr

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Actually just found a ding in a new enameled CI staub that I so proudly posted about in another thread a moment ago. Looks like the ding (possibly from bubblying? does that occur in cast iron?) is in the underlying iron and that it was covered smoothly by the enamel. No actual chipping. Is this worth an exchange over?

Here are a few different views to give an idea of scale:

2nrpyra.jpg

23k66p2.jpg

280kto8.jpg

Hrrrmm. :dazed:

I don't think you have to worry about it for several reasons. Some of my Staub and seasoned Lodge had similar inclusions.

The Lodge got that factory crap stripped in the lye tank and was seasoned over, never gave me a problem thus far except you want to make sure extra oil doesn't collect when seasoning.

I spoke with Zwilling (parent company of Staub) regarding my pieces that had something similar. It's basically an individuality of the iron from casting (can you also see where they sanded/cut around the rim and handles thru the enamel?), yours definitely looks seasoned over so should not be a problem. They also guarantee for life so if there is ever an issue as a result of a "defect" they should replace

Here is a pic I sent to Zwilling regarding mine, this is on a medium sized Dutch oven

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1435195998.964401.jpg

As with you, I'd also like to see what other members say

Last edited:
don't worry about it. a little grit in the sand casting. not important

agree with Son. hard to not have a couple imperfections w/ an iron casting. We have a dozen or more cast iron pots and pans and all have at least one small void, bump, etc.

Chiffonodd, did you get the press top with the grill pan?
I press everything, the guys at work are always jealous of my lunches.

Back