Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new jns 1k

Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    Just wondering; can this stone can be soaked? If so, any difference?
    I am 99% sure it can be soaked. If I am not mistaken the only current JNS stone that should not be soaked is the 300.

what is the cutting speed of this?

Hi Panda, i hear you have the old one. I like the feedback of the old one better. This one feels finer, but cuts fast in my opinion. It is thirsty at first, needing some good splashes of water until it is quenched. Nutmeg said in another thread that Watanabe san compared it to Chosera in terms of speed.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...tanabe+Chosera

i had the original one for only a short time because i found it too slow. i fear the new one probably too slow for me as well as i find chosera 1k lacking in speed. synthetic stones are always a compromise, i think what i am after is not achievable except maybe the suehiro gokumyo-ryu dual density series but those are too expensive for what i am using it for.

Panda, should you find the new JNS1k too slow, than you can get the Watanabe AI 1000 and should even that be too slow, than you either has to go to lower grit or get some sort of diamond stone ( the 800 from JKI would probably be the best bet)

hi!
    the JNS1000 is pretty fast and very comfortable for sharpening, Ai1000 is so fast that i accidentally removed 4mm on the end of a knife, used to fix it with the JNS400 (gentle fast stone i never used a lot before) and Thai stones.

I already have watanabe 1k, it's fast but not the best feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I already have watanabe 1k, it's fast but not the best feedback.
    I see. Than you should definitely try the new JNS 1k or also the JKI 1500. I have not compared them side-to-side, but found the JKI 1500 to be a fast stone. I have used it recently when I was giving a sharpening 'lesson' to a friend of mine.

jns 1k is not faster than the ai1000. you shouldnt have sold that chosera 800 imo

Hi i have compared them side by side for an hour thinning and sharpening a old solingen carbon Meat destroyer.. and well ai1000 does the job much faster.. so i first didnt like the more scratchy feedback but flatten and use it and its not a big difference any more.. the new JNS is more gentler but was to slow for me after comparing them for an hour..
    scratchpattern on just eye check is the same. Ai1000 seems also faster than my jns400.. wich is a great stone!! used it today again and its super wear resistant and very gentle for its grit!
    Ai1000 combines them . sorry dodnt want to sound like a watanabe salesman in a JNS thread but i have JNS 400,1000, had the red aoto, and the super awesome 6000.. and i like them a lot .. its just for what job you need it and i was scared to use the ai1000 after i nearly wrecked my knife and used the JNS400 and orange and grey binsu to give it a kato grind (its now cutting like a lightsaber and its a fat mom)

Soo well i got tons of jnats but jns1000 and ai1000 are my favorite stones for that.
    get both! )