new jns 1k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was going to order it a bit ago, but it didn't put my order over the free shipping threshold, so I swapped for a JNS 6k. Interested to hear about it as well.

5-star reviews there are common and don't really say a whole lot. There's more sycophancy and justification than honest commentary.

would be nice to see the results in more detail. I'm out of budget now, but I'd be interested to see how the new 1k finish looks next to the classic 800.

I'm out of budget now, but I'd be interested to see how the new 1k finish looks next to the classic 800.

I had the chance to use the JNS 800 and JNS 1000 (the 'old' one) side by side and they are VERY different. 800 is fast, muddy and leaves rather nice finish on wide bevels - can be followed by 3000-4000 grit or even 6000. The JNS 1000 is a hard stone (closer to Gesshin 2000, but different feel). Though I do not know how does the new JNS 1000 behave.

Bump, interested to for whenever they come back in stock

5-star reviews there are common and don't really say a whole lot. There's more sycophancy and justification than honest commentary.

Surely this never happens! :dontknow:

I liked it. Dishes slow. Splash & Go. Used only twice, so it might still be my imagination, but it seems to leave a more refined edge than the old Matukusuyama. And it cuts fast too.

Just messing around a bit, I know everything with Japanese knives and stones tends to be a waiting process. That said though hoping they come back in soon and hoping to hear back from Maksim sometime about the new JNS 1000 vs. the 1200.....

hi guys!

i got one of the new jns1000 on the first day they arrived in maxims shop.

i also was one of the 5 star review writers, because that stone is really amazing.
its splash and go and cuts very fast with great feedback, dishes not so much and stays flat because it is really hard.

a friend of mine has the old jns1000 and we compared them.. well heliked his 1000 more but i like the new 1000 better..
it is hard to say.. as the old 1000 you can even remove chips with its strong cutting and it leaves a good surface for my jns red aoto
i used the glasstone 2000 before but cant compare them to this one.. (ok the glasstone 500 is still a keeper since it is awesome with great feedback too)

feedback is really awesome and good size too..

i can go with this stone directly on my ohira shiro suita renge or maruyama shiro suita without anything between.. i used this on a ck76 custom knife and my 3 Ashi sweden steel knife and works very good..
soo a very very good 1000 grit stone and it looks amazing to ;9 ..i love the colors and the pattern on the stone.

best regards, daniel!

Just bought one :p hopefully I like it

Let us know how do you like it! I have both the old and new versions. The old is a soaker, but seems to have a better feedback than the new one. The new is S&G, but it is thirsty when dry. I like both.

I like that it's Splash n Go, I already have couple soakers in this range. I just did two knives on it. So far it left a good taste. But a little bit to early to make a statement...

Just wondering; can this stone can be soaked? If so, any difference?

i had the original one for only a short time because i found it too slow. i fear the new one probably too slow for me as well as i find chosera 1k lacking in speed. synthetic stones are always a compromise, i think what i am after is not achievable except maybe the suehiro gokumyo-ryu dual density series but those are too expensive for what i am using it for.

Panda, should you find the new JNS1k too slow, than you can get the Watanabe AI 1000 and should even that be too slow, than you either has to go to lower grit or get some sort of diamond stone ( the 800 from JKI would probably be the best bet)

hi!
the JNS1000 is pretty fast and very comfortable for sharpening, Ai1000 is so fast that i accidentally removed 4mm on the end of a knife, used to fix it with the JNS400 (gentle fast stone i never used a lot before) and Thai stones.

I already have watanabe 1k, it's fast but not the best feedback.

I see. Than you should definitely try the new JNS 1k or also the JKI 1500. I have not compared them side-to-side, but found the JKI 1500 to be a fast stone. I have used it recently when I was giving a sharpening 'lesson' to a friend of mine.

jns 1k is not faster than the ai1000. you shouldnt have sold that chosera 800 imo ;)

Hi i have compared them side by side for an hour thinning and sharpening a old solingen carbon Meat destroyer.. and well ai1000 does the job much faster.. so i first didnt like the more scratchy feedback but flatten and use it and its not a big difference any more.. the new JNS is more gentler but was to slow for me after comparing them for an hour..
scratchpattern on just eye check is the same. Ai1000 seems also faster than my jns400.. wich is a great stone!! used it today again and its super wear resistant and very gentle for its grit!
Ai1000 combines them . sorry dodnt want to sound like a watanabe salesman in a JNS thread but i have JNS 400,1000, had the red aoto, and the super awesome 6000.. and i like them a lot .. its just for what job you need it and i was scared to use the ai1000 after i nearly wrecked my knife and used the JNS400 and orange and grey binsu to give it a kato grind (its now cutting like a lightsaber and its a fat mom)

Soo well i got tons of jnats but jns1000 and ai1000 are my favorite stones for that.
get both! ;))

Back