Attention Bob Kramer fans!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand the profile of this knife at all... what a ridiculous price tag.

I see that Cutlery and More is selling the ZK limited edition 8" Kramer for around $1900 IIRC. I must say that I do like the look of the particular Damascus and birch scales.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know what Kramer actually charges (like price per inch) if you win the lottery or during the ready-made sales? I suppose that'd depend on whether you get Damascus or mono steel. Also wondering what his production capacity is or how often he sends out lottery/ready-made emails; I've only received one email since Xmas (not counting the two for the stone and T-shirt sale) for the auction of the a carving set so am not sure if I am getting them all.

Might be a stupid question but why in gods name would anyone pay $8k for that? Profile looks wierd and its not looking better than say a marko/fernandez/hhh etc? What make him so special except his ridcioulus price tag?

Man that's so much money! I don't think us working stiffs are the target market. If you're a rich trophy wife playing show and tell maybe..

The profile works, and works extremely well. For me at least. I'd give my left *#!$&*#! for a 10" original Kramer. But that's just me.

Pensacola tiger, never tried one thats why i only said it looks wierd. But thats why i asked if its something special that you notice first when you try it. I dont doubt that its amazing if you guys say it is, it was just an honest question since ive never tried one and probably wont get the chance to ever do.

Pensacola tiger, never tried one thats why i only said it looks wierd. But thats why i asked if its something special that you notice first when you try it. I dont doubt that its amazing if you guys say it is, it was just an honest question since ive never tried one and probably wont get the chance to ever do.

The Kramer by Zwilling (or ZKramer as it is called here) has the same profile as a Bob Kramer custom at a much more affordable cost. Granted, it may not be for everyone, but for some it is a very useful profile.

Honest questions are certainly welcome, but too often opinions are voiced with no experience to back them up.

If you want to pay the cost of shipping, I have a 10" in 52100 that I would be willing to lend you for a while. PM me if you are interested.

Rick

The only complaints I have with the ZK 52100 (other than the fact I rarely use anymore) has to do with the heel sticking into the cutting board (I'm taking about the 10"). I think it may be because the angle of the handle seems a bit different with respect to the cutting edge, but I was able to adjust for this without much issue.

The handle seems kind of bulbous as well which made my traditional pinch grip feel awkward, I almost found it easier to place another finger past the bolster.

Apparently the issues with the rivets projecting or scale shrinkage has been taken care of with the later productions, they stick out on both of mine (10" chef and 9" slicer). I remember seeing one on display at a local kitchenware store where you could sort of see the outline of the tang as if the scales had shrunk uniformly all around, however the blackwood on this had truly darkened and looked really nice (mine is still brownish)

again, I don't have to use a knife to say the profile looks like what happens to most vintage knives when sharpened by people who don't know what they're doing (completely missing the heel). I don't have to use the knife to say it looks awkward as hell. I have worked with knives for thousands of hours every year for the last ten years, so experience? Yep. Didn't mean to offend you. I'm sure they're nice knives and I wouldn't turn my nose up at one that came my way as a gift. But the profile sure looks uncomfortable. And the ergochef downturned handle? No thanks.

again, I don't have to use a knife to say the profile looks like what happens to most vintage knives when sharpened by people who don't know what they're doing (completely missing the heel). I don't have to use the knife to say it looks awkward as hell. I have worked with knives for thousands of hours every year for the last ten years, so experience? Yep. Didn't mean to offend you. I'm sure they're nice knives and I wouldn't turn my nose up at one that came my way as a gift. But the profile sure looks uncomfortable. And the ergochef downturned handle? No thanks.

oh look ur still clueless and judging a knife youve never used based on extrapolations without framing it that way.

dont mean to offend but your opinion on this knife is not worth hearing if you dont caveat it properly.

Sorry to have to disagree, but you do have to use a knife to have a valid opinion of the profile. You can, however say it looks awkward, or uncomfortable. The issue is that an uninformed opinion takes on a life of its own in these forums, and is treated as factual, and repeated until it is something "everyone just knows to be true", for example, that VG10 is "chippy".

I don't understand the profile of this knife at all... what a ridiculous price tag.
Not sure where I spoke definitively about the knife. "this knife is bad" "this profile doesn't work" "this knife is not worth 8k" none of those definitive statements were made at any point by me in the thread. So what caveat is needed when I say I dont understand the profile at all.

Lol. Have a good saturday you two. Try to relax a bit, loosen that stick.

The issue is that an uninformed opinion takes on a life of its own in these forums, and is treated as factual, and repeated until it is something "everyone just knows to be true", for example, that VG10 is "chippy".

I couldn't agree more.

I enjoyed the ZKramer in 52100 quite a bit. It's an all around good cutter. My personal dislike with the profile is the super-pointy tip. I am a tad bit clumsy and have stabbed myself with pointy tips from this one and way different profiles that were still too pointy-I think one other was a Pierre mid tech.

I thought the profile of the Z-Kramer looked horrible, until I tried it. Still not the knife for me but it sure cuts better than it looks. I'm sure a real deal Kramer is a good cutting knife but just not for me--even if I could afford it.

I have owned several Kramers by Shun, which were my introduction to the crazy world that is high end kitchen knives. Although I only own a ten inch slicer anymore I will say that I initially was taken back by the profile of the gyuto/chef's knife, however, really came to like it so much so that it actually became my "go-to" knife. Unfortunately, my "go-to" knife had to be returned to Shun due to the fact that the scales completely separated from the tang. With all Shun Kramers discontinued, there was no way for me to replace said knife, hence only a slicer left in the rotation. :cool2:

Back