Sharpening heel on knives with annoying handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend gave me his vnox to sharpen. I am trying to figure out how I'm going to sharpen the heel of this knife, given how far the "bolster" section of the handle creeps up along the blade face and then protrudes perpendicular to the spine. It will rub against the stone. Any thoughts on how to work around this? Or is it a lost cause?

245wto9.jpg

Angle the knife so the straight part of the handle is parallel to the long edge of the stone.
This. It is harder if you insist on one-hand-only sharpening, but if you hold the handle toward yourself and the tip forward about 45° (edge facing you), the handle should not contact the stone at all.

Yeah. I almost always sharpen with an angle like that, and it's handy for avoiding some handles and bolsters (sometimes I'm an idiot and hit them anyway).

Yeh Fibrox Victorinox sharpen them all the time. They design the handle that way for pinch grip. My vintage rosewood Forchners not as extreme as these. You can put a sharp edge on the Victorinox it is not bad steel at the cheap price.

There are no hard and fast rules for positioning a double bevel for heel sharpening. Have to adapt to the blade in hand. Knives like this often have high heels because neglected in sharpening. Don't want high heels on knives. Do not care for them on Woman either much prefer barefoot ankle Lei Hula Dancers. :hula: or check out French movie with BB in God Created Woman barefoot sexy:D

Back