Help needed for trussing turkey breasts for smoking

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got two boneless, whole turkey breasts. One 2.6lbs, the other 3.6lbs. Smallish. Each is the whole bird's entire breast. Planning on smoking tomorrow for club sammitches.

What's the best way to truss them for even cooking? Each obviously has a thick end and two thin dangly breasts points? Tuck under the thin points and truss into a roast shape? First time for me and I'm not sure what's best.

Fwiw, they're fresh and currently soaking in Keller's brine recipe.

If you're doing a low temp smoke (BGE?) I don't think you'll need to truss it. I do T breasts for a friend who also likes sandwiches @ 220ish till breast is 160ish then FTC for a bit. She's not complained (about that anyway).

Just noticed the boneless part. I saw whole breast and jumped to the more familiar whole bone in breast. So you have two breasts, one birds worth?

I can't picture trussing it but if it would help get a more uniform thickness that would be a good thing. Could also trim off the irregular parts if it's not a substantial amount.

FTC is Foil, Towel, Cooler. When removing product from the smoker can wrap it in foil, wrap the foil in a towel and put the whole thing in a pre-heated cooler. 15 - 30 min will have everything groovy. Can hold the product for 3 -4 hours at serving temp - useful when the meat is done early but you've not started on the coleslaw yet.

You could truss it if you really want to. It won't make too huge of a difference though. The thin end is still gonna be pretty thin.

Sounds you have all kinds of thickness on these. Butterfly or pound them flat (at least one) and get some kind of porchetta/ballotine thing going on? (It's to late to be having this discussion...)

You could make a "sock" out of aluminum foil and slide it over the ends to shield them from the heat. I'd put the sock on for the first half of the cooking process. Also, I'd do this for one and let the other one stay exposed. This way you'll see what, if any, effect the sock had.

Thanks, guys. Wound up trussing them as much into a uniform shape as I could and they're on the smoker now. We'll see how they come out.

Came out pretty good.

image.jpg

OOOOOHHHHH that looks so good. Did you end up smoking them in the BGE? I don't think you said, only that you were brining them.

Back