Quantcast
New 240mm Gyuto...Mizuno or takagi or masamoto - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 240mm Gyuto...Mizuno or takagi or masamoto

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    From what I hear, the takagi is thick at the shoulders too. If you really want it to be thin at the shoulders, you are going to have to do major work, on a honyaki knife. There is a reason it is cheap for a honyaki knife, which is all the finishing work has not been done to it.

No personal experience, but from what I have read from another forum. Maybe others can chime in.
    Absolutely correct, sir. The Takagi is a thick knife which will need some thinning in order to bring out its potential. The steel is tough and will take some time, even with the help of a sander. It's more of a diamond in the rough knife than a fully finished ready to go blade. If you don't mind putting in the work or have a strong desire to work on and tune up a blade, it's a good option for an inexpensive honyaki blade.

I'm a big masamoto fan. I have three masamotos and will end up with more in the future.
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

I'm in the same market, but my eye has been drawn to Wantanabe's gyuto, the Miz and the Mas - please let us know what you choose, and how you like it

Guys

So if anyone still cares I went ahead with the Mizuno and I got a 270 instead of a 240 after reading that it would be more versatile. The only other 270 I own is a Fujiwara yo handled Suji (Not teruyasu).

Koki at JCK says he will make sure the spine and choil are nicely rounded and that the grind is well done.

I won't post a review or anything because too much has already been said about this knife. But do want to say that I really appreciate everyones input over the years on this knife. I hope my experience with it is as wonderful as others has been. Thanks for the guidance.

We care, and expect you to show it off wth some pictures!
    Enjoy the new blade!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I'd love to see the knife when you get it! I'd like to see what things look like from a consistency of F&F and blade grind, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    We care, and expect you to show it off wth some pictures!
    Enjoy the new blade!
    Indeed, let us have a look at her upon arrival.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***