Aloha from Hawaii

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnF

Reaction score
I actually just noticed this "New Member Check In"...I guess there is just so much information on this forum that I got distracted.

First off, thank you every one for your help thus far, I am definitely a newbie when it comes to quality knives. However lurking around this forum for the last several months makes me feel like an expert amongst my friends. Haha.

I've worked in restaurants in Honolulu, Napa, San Francisco, and Vegas, but only on the FOH side as Sommelier. So I'll be able to chime in with expertise on any wine, beer, or general booze questions you may have.

E komo mai! Where on the islands are you?

Stefan

I actually just noticed this "New Member Check In"...I guess there is just so much information on this forum that I got distracted.

First off, thank you every one for your help thus far, I am definitely a newbie when it comes to quality knives. However lurking around this forum for the last several months makes me feel like an expert amongst my friends. Haha.

I've worked in restaurants in Honolulu, Napa, San Francisco, and Vegas, but only on the FOH side as Sommelier. So I'll be able to chime in with expertise on any wine, beer, or general booze questions you may have.

What kind of single malt do you like?:wink:

What kind of single malt do you like?:wink:

Well I personally like a decent amount of peat, but too much smoke can be overpowering. I think my favorite distiller is Bruichladdich. Even their entry level scotches like 12 yr, Links, Rocks, etc are all incredibly balanced and flavorful for the price. Of course their higher end stuff are great too, however I am not a huge fan of their annual selections...it sometimes seems like they are trying to hard to make a "different style".

If you can get your hands on it, Port Ellen makes a really refined peaty, smokey scotch that I like better than the typical in-your-face smoke-bombs like Laphroaig.

Also, not to go too far into left field, but some of the single malts from Japan are real special. Specifically Nikka and Suntory. I know the Suntory Yamazaki's are really good and readily available but they are getting utterly ridiculous in price. I'd look for even some of their unlabeled age-designation bottles. All are typically 10yr and older. We actually just did a Japan vs. Scotch tasting and a lot of the Nikka and Suntory's were beating comparable Scotches in price point and age designation (blind tasting too). My GF and I plan to visit the Nikka distillery in Hokkaido in early February.

What do you typically like?

Honolulu, more specifically Nuuanu. But I work downtown. What about you?

I live in Kaimuki but work downtown, Punchbowl at the Dep. of Health. Are you cooking somewhere downtown? Should I come and eat there? ;)

That said, I agree with the Port Ellen recommendation, but I like most Islays. Ardbeg and Caol Ila are my favorites from there. But I am sure folks here want to hear from an expert, not some old boozer like me ;)

Stefan

Oh haha, maybe I should have specified that I don't work at restaurants anymore. I am currently in corporate finance. I was one of those financial crisis layoffs and was working in restaurants/wine in the mean time.

Did you see about a year ago Tamura's had Port Ellen 1982 for $125/bottle? I had to get that. Ardbeg and Caol Ila are also quite good, I just dont like how much Caol Ila has gone up so much in price over the past 8-10 years or so. I guess that's just the current trend and I better just accept it.

Back