• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Three knives: Tanaka r2, Yoshimitsu blue 1, Tesshu white 2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
Up for sale is a Shigeki Tanaka 240mm R2 wa-gyuto, a Yoshimitsu 240mm damascus blue 1 wa-gyuto, and a Tesshu 270mm white 2 wa-gyuto. The Yoshimitsu and the Tesshu have only been used a few times, and haven't been sharpened other than touching up on a strop. The Shigeki Tanaka was sent to Jon Broida earlier this year, where he re-finished the handle, eased the choil and spine, and sharpened it. It hasn't been used since he worked on it. The Tanaka is an even nicer knife than it was brand new. All three are great cutters, and thin behind the edge. I just have too many knives, and not enough time to cook, so these should find new homes. I believe that I have the saya for the Yoshimitsu, but I would have to find it. I don't believe I have the original boxes for any, but they will be well packed. I'm thinking $400 for the Tanaka, $300 for the Yoshimitsu, and $165 for the Tesshu, all prices shipped CONUS. I am willing to ship internationally, but buyer would pay for the additional shipping, and I'll only mark packages with full sold value. Paypal only. Attached are a couple general photos of the three. I can take more photos, if anyone would like me too. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, 10% reduction in total cost for package deals. For instance, buy the Yoshimitsu and the Tesshu together, and it will be $418.50, shipped.

I'll take Tesshu. Let me peek at it first tomorrow or Friday as your schedule permits.

Or you would if your inbox had room. Anyway, this is all I was going to send: "Hey, Friday would be good. I'm a full-time grad student currently, and thus not employed, but I could meet you on the medical campus. Afternoon is better for me, as I have morning classes."

Choil shot of the Tanaka?

Best I can do at the moment:

qJagJOc.jpg
The knife is quite thin at the spine, so the taper isn't as dramatic looking as it would be on a thicker-spined knife.

I wisely checked shipping and customs costs before jumping at the Tanaka. Looks great, good luck with the sale.

You know what, I looked at the Tanaka again, and I think I want to keep it. It is a damned good knife, and sometimes stainless is handy to have around.

I'll post a pic and measurement tomorrow, about to go to bed.

Well, I got a call that woke me up, so I might as well answer the question. It's about 49mm at the heel, and it's too thin at the edge for me to take a good picture, but here it is:

Does you Tanaka have kanji? I just bought a new one and I don't see any Kanji...

From Mark Richmond:

I asked Shigeki about this when I had dinner with him 2 years ago and he said he doesn't have access to a good engraver that can do the hard r-2 steel knives so his ironwood and r-2 wa gyutos are without kanji engravings. Before his father died a couple years back they used to have the engraving of their name on those blades but no more.

Bump. I've decided to put the Tanaka back up, so all three are still up, unless UCMD still wants the Tesshu (that was my fault). I'm open to offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back