Paring knife help!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearate

Reaction score
So far, this community has been 2 for 2 on awesome knife recommendations. Lets make it 3.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Paring knife/utility knife. Something in the <120mm with a shorter heel.

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No preference. I do however like the larger handle on the Kato and Yoshikane parers.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
something between 85mm-120mm.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Nope

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
~$180

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home and commissary.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
This will be for garnish work, trimming, and may serve as a travel knife.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
5inch zwilling henckles utility knife. Way too soft, need something with a better edge and can hopefully keep for longer.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Blade up. Pencil. Hammer.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Typical garnish scoring and slicing.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Need a stiffer blade. Sharper. Better edge retention.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Open to anything. I'm function over form however form has its value as well.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I may do a few cases of smaller berries in a sitting so comfort is important. Food release is also important. Handle heavy preferred.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Difficult is fine.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not sure how to quantify this. I would like to be able to do a case of root veg, ~20# of frozen berries, deboning a few cases of chicken before having to sharpen.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Ive heard great things about the Yoshikane SKD and the Kato parers, I love the large handle on them. I know that they're impossible to find so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks everyone,

RL

If you can find a Harner/McLean, they're the parer to beat IMO. They're a collaboration between Butch Harner (a vendor on the forum), and Tom McLean (a forum member). It's one of the best knives I've laid my hands on, love it. Super comfy handle, and very versatile blade geometry. They come in stainless, and carbon. I believe butch works in AEB-L and O1 but I could be mistaken on that point. Typically run about $140. Shoot Butch a PM if you're interested.

If you don't mind the yoshikane hand hammered version they are available on epicureanedge.com http://www.epicedge.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1206&cat=Yoshikane+Hammer+Finished&catidex1=72

I believe their is a 10% discount for forum members.

I would love that except that its completely out of stock. I've checked all the vendors that I could think of and so far nothing.

I'll try hitting up Butch. I see on the Harner Knives website that there are no current availabilities but maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks.

I can second Harner/McLean parer, splendid choice!

My bad didn't see the back orders on the sizes you wanted....

I also have a Delbert Ealy AEBL parer, from your questionnaire it sounds like they'd be a good match. I may end up selling mine, I don't need 5 parers as a home cook

Back