• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

210mm Shig gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dardeau

Reaction score
So I've been on the fence about keeping this knife. I love cutting with it, I love the size and height, and I love the way it feels in my hand.

The thought of refinishing this knife next time it needs thinning fills me with dread. I hate the sandpaper process. I just let a Kato go for the same reason. This is the last knife I have with the type of blade face that I can't just thin, put a nice stone finish on and have it look good.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1436111093.887790.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1436111108.205747.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1436111121.357311.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1436111144.239526.jpg

I think this is the best iPhone choil shot I have ever managed.

The last pic shows a slight san mai settling bend to one side. It is very slight and does not affect cutting.

The saya is friction fit, homemade of basswood.

$275 shipped conus
If you are interested in either of the stones I have up combined prices can be knocked down. Partial trades for 210mm deba considered.

I will be out of town from today until 7/15, I can ship then.

Dardeau, perhaps it is a little off-topic in a sales-thread, but why do you have problems thinning this knife ("the type of blade face that I can't just thin")?

Andre - sorry another perhaps off topic thing. Before you sell this, could you check on the weight? Actually, I'd go for this but suspect it'll be a bit too light for my tastes. For eg, I remember my 240 with handle was 200g.

Dardeau, perhaps it is a little off-topic in a sales-thread, but why do you have problems thinning this knife ("the type of blade face that I can't just thin")?
Further digression: he's referring to a full-height blade finish opposed to a tall bevel with a shinogi. I can relate; I actually rather like thinning and refinishing tall bevels, but dislike blades that require a refinish to the whole thing.

420, you may have been indulging too much in your namesake, you have already handled this knife.

As for thinning, check Xoomg, it's not that I can't, I just don't enjoy refinishing at all.

And Ger, if it hasn't sold I'll weigh it when I go back to work, but it's pretty light.

So I've been on the fence about keeping this knife. I love cutting with it, I love the size and height, and I love the way it feels in my hand.

The thought of refinishing this knife next time it needs thinning fills me with dread. I hate the sandpaper process. I just let a Kato go for the same reason. This is the last knife I have with the type of blade face that I can't just thin, put a nice stone finish on and have it look good.

View attachment 28218

View attachment 28219

View attachment 28220

View attachment 28221

I think this is the best iPhone choil shot I have ever managed.

The last pic shows a slight san mai settling bend to one side. It is very slight and does not affect cutting.

The saya is friction fit, homemade of basswood.

$275 shipped conus
If you are interested in either of the stones I have up combined prices can be knocked down. Partial trades for 210mm deba considered.

I will be out of town from today until 7/15, I can ship then.

I will purchase.

275 shipped
[email protected]
Please let me know if still available

That's a great knife for that price. Don't know what you could get better for $275. I have the same knife and love it.

Pretty sure offers need to be made by PM. The knife is still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back