Quantcast
White and Blue paper steels. pros and cons.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White and Blue paper steels. pros and cons.

White and Blue paper steels. pros and cons.

Im looking into incorporating Japanese paper steels into our kitchen knives. And wanted to get some info for the group on these steels..

Any help would be appreciated.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Hitachi makes the traditional paper steels. In Carbon there's two varieties of paper steels: Shirogami (white paper, plain carbon) and Aogami (blue paper, some Tungsten and 0.5 Chromium added). A main feature are the low values of Sulfur and Phorsphorus. Both come in two grades No.1 and No.2 (~1.05-1.15 C), the No.1s have 0.2 more Carbon and are rarely seen compared to the easier to work with No.2 varieties. In addition there's also Aogami Super with higher Carbon (1.4-1.5) more Tungsten, some Mo and V. For compositions check this, search for "white 1", "blue 2" etc.
    I don't know if they are obtainable in the US but I doubt it.

Rottman.. Thanks for the info. I would love to get some and start testing. Laminating it into damascus. etc. Will have to take a look and see if its something that I can get shipped across the pond.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Does anyone know a good supplier for this steel in the USA or would recommend a reliable source outside the states? Would love to get a few pounds of each to play with!

Availible Knives

Good luck Randy. If you do find some, let me know and ill go in on some with you. Last i heard, they had a 1000 lb. minimum....at $75 A POUND! No steel is worth that....Have to make $5000 knives to cover the cost lol(sarcasm of course). but still...that is crazy expensive per pound for steel.

Mike, WOW. Yea thats a little rich for my blood..

I really just want to use it to laminate San Mai style into some of our damascus.. But would consider using some already laminated. In billet or bar form? Then forging blade etc.. Would be great to have for the first weekend in Oct..

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Good luck Randy. If you do find some, let me know and ill go in on some with you. Last i heard, they had a 1000 lb. minimum....at $75 A POUND! No steel is worth that....Have to make $5000 knives to cover the cost lol(sarcasm of course). but still...that is crazy expensive per pound for steel.
    How does Carter get it so cheap? And on that note If you can san mai the paper steel with SS you will have yourself a lot of orders.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    How does Carter get it so cheap? And on that note If you can san mai the paper steel with SS you will have yourself a lot of orders.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    .at $75 A POUND!
    I think that the only appropriate response to a price quote like that would be "Yo Momma!!!!"

Why not using W2? It's similar to White steel.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com