Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: Masamoto KS Wa Gyuto

  1. #41
    Senior Member Salty dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Caledonia
    Posts
    1,922
    The Mizuno is hefty. The Masamoto not. The Masamoto came with a very nice hazy mirror finish. The Miz with a flat out mirror, mirror. I was just feeling up one of the Miz's today saying to myself, "I should really bust into this thing". I have to admit a little tainted predjudice to thinner knives but I know in the long run a heftier knife, if "capabable", is a better investment.

    Also the Miz run short and Mas runs long. Two different beautiful animals.

  2. #42
    Senior Member mpukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gyptuckey, CO
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Honyaki is on the left.

    The tips are very close. The difference is negligible.

    I polished with my stone progression. The surface was pretty even.
    Hey Salty - care to expand a little on mirror polishing a blade? Since I've read and saw this thread I've got a bug to polish my Yusuke white #2 gyuto. It's mono steel. I feel like the blade has some drag, and I'd like to see if mirror polishing it will improve the cutting performance. I know it will patina again w/ use but I'm more concerned w/ the finish of the surface rather than the mirro appearance.

    Is essentially what you're doing similar to thinning a blade, but you're focusing on removing all the scratches f/ the grinding on the entire surface, following the contours of the original grind? Thanks Boss! mpp

  3. #43
    Yeah, I think that's the main idea. I think it would probably be a little easier with wet/dry sandpaper. This would help match the contour of the bevels better, and would keep you from being quite as likely to remove too much material.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Salty dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Caledonia
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Hey Salty - care to expand a little on mirror polishing a blade? Since I've read and saw this thread I've got a bug to polish my Yusuke white #2 gyuto. It's mono steel. I feel like the blade has some drag, and I'd like to see if mirror polishing it will improve the cutting performance. I know it will patina again w/ use but I'm more concerned w/ the finish of the surface rather than the mirro appearance.

    Is essentially what you're doing similar to thinning a blade, but you're focusing on removing all the scratches f/ the grinding on the entire surface, following the contours of the original grind? Thanks Boss! mpp
    Yep but exploring easier ways, including wet sand papaer.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Hey Salty - care to expand a little on mirror polishing a blade? Since I've read and saw this thread I've got a bug to polish my Yusuke white #2 gyuto. It's mono steel. I feel like the blade has some drag, and I'd like to see if mirror polishing it will improve the cutting performance. I know it will patina again w/ use but I'm more concerned w/ the finish of the surface rather than the mirro appearance.

    Is essentially what you're doing similar to thinning a blade, but you're focusing on removing all the scratches f/ the grinding on the entire surface, following the contours of the original grind? Thanks Boss! mpp
    In my experience, a mirror polish makes that much worse.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    In my experience, a mirror polish makes that much worse.
    I like it halfway - 600-800 grit finish, far from mirror polish, but makes a really nice finish.


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  7. #47
    Senior Member mpukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gyptuckey, CO
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    In my experience, a mirror polish makes that much worse.
    You're saying mirror polish = more drag on food product when cutting?

  8. #48
    Senior Member mpukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gyptuckey, CO
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Yep but exploring easier ways, including wet sand papaer.
    I'm thinking wet sand paper and a palm sander

    Was originally thinking of doing this to my Moritaka kiri-gyuto to flatten and thin the sides...

  9. #49
    Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    You're saying mirror polish = more drag on food product when cutting?
    That's been my experience. I assume a lower grit finish is like having thousands of tiny, uniform kullenschliffs all over the blade face, preventing the food from "sucking" to the metal.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    You're saying mirror polish = more drag on food product when cutting?
    Oh yeah. It encourages wedging, sticking, steering, etc. I admire a shiny piece of steel, but it just never worked out for me at work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •