Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Forged in Fire"

"Forged in Fire"

I think the new season starts tonight. Not sure who's going to be in the new ones.

My family likes watching me yell at the TV, we'll see. Also don't know if they will have the same judges.

Hoss

I have never watched this show, mostly out of fear they will destroy something I love. BUT yelling at the T.V. sounds like the perfect solution.

I still say Mareko won

Is it worth watching?

Is it like a cooking show with knives?
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Is it worth watching?

I think that's a apt comparison, it's kinda like a middle of the road cooking show. The "it will keeeeel" judge is really annoying; I recorded it with the hope he is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Is it worth watching?

For me it was simultaneously very interesting and amazingly dumb. The "watch a bunch of guys hammer out knives before your very eyes" aspect was cool.

But every heat had a "shank a ballistic dummy with the knives" round followed by catchphrase "IT WILL KIIIIILLLLLLL". I might be turning into a cantankerous old fart, but for me it got old real fast. EVERY. SINGLE. ROUND. EVERY. SINGLE. KNIFE.

Are the same judges there this season? Same format?

I think the concept of the show is COOL, but the format is pretty lame if you ask me, but I still watch it when it's on

And shanking the guts-filled dummy with SQUISH sound effect and blue ooze running from the wound channel - does that not play right into the knife-laws camps hands?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboScooter View Post
    For me it was simultaneously very interesting and amazingly dumb. The "watch a bunch of guys hammer out knives before your very eyes" aspect was cool.

But every heat had a "shank a ballistic dummy with the knives" round followed by catchphrase "IT WILL KIIIIILLLLLLL". I might be turning into a cantankerous old fart, but for me it got old real fast. EVERY. SINGLE. ROUND. EVERY. SINGLE. KNIFE.

Yea that "it will kill" guy is beyond annoying. I dvr the whole show so I can fast forward it (a lot). The best parts are the aside comments the judgments make about things like the heat treats and the forging process.

But the whole premise of the tests for the first part of last nights show was just stupid, I'm not a smith but giving people scrap steel and no way to test it other then by eye seemed strange - I have a set of testing files that are made in Japan and very inexpensive. One of the judges seemed to have a testing file... I use them when I am refurbishing an ODC knife I bought on ebay to decide what angle to put on the blade, these guys wouldn't use them before forging a knife? (Yes I know iT won't be optimal because who knows what the heat treat was on the scrap and how it was tempered down but to just guess with no testing? Makes no sense...)