Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yaxell Ran chef knife 8 inch #36000 review

a couple of years ago my cousin gave me a Yaxell Ran santoku as a gift. It was my first J-knife. What shall I say? I still have and use it for tasks which require a I-don't-care-about-this-knife knife...

The handle is the biggest disappointment! It is huge and heavy!

To make a long story short: the blade is ok, but I would never buy one of these knives if I had to spend my own money...

Quote Originally Posted by rbester View Post
    BTW, my first name is Ran... it would be cool to have a knife with my name already on it (just as an extra bonus)
    Have you considered changing your name to Kato?

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    a couple of years ago my cousin gave me a Yaxell Ran santoku as a gift. It was my first J-knife. What shall I say? I still have and use it for tasks which require a I-don't-care-about-this-knife knife...

The handle is the biggest disappointment! It is huge and heavy!

To make a long story short: the blade is ok, but I would never buy one of these knives if I had to spend my own money...
    Thank you for the input. To be more specific, I am looking at the 8" chef knife, which according to various reviews I've read is supposed to be light and have excellent balance.

Thank you for the input. To be more specific, I am looking at the 8" chef knife, which according to various reviews I've read is supposed to be light and have excellent balance.
    Guessing those reviews were somewhere other than this forum...
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Have you considered changing your name to Kato?
    I like Ran. It's light, sharp and strong. Good for a lifetime. Also it's well balanced with my last name - Bester.

I bought one small santoku for my wife.
    She like it a lot and it s perfect for her hands. 😄
    Good girl knife IMO

Actually I prefer perfectly balanced knives as well.
    But handle heavy makes my wrist less tired than blade heavy.
    Plus, if your handle heavy knife falls down, it will land with the handle.
    If your blade heavy knife falls down, your tip is gone...
    I have similar micarta handle on Ryusen hammered Damascus.
    Nice handle
    Once a Japanese knife, always a Japanese knife -> Once a Carbon, always a Carbon -> Once a Honyaki, always a Honyaki <3

Hi, I am also thinking about buying a Ran. I have read this thread and now curious - what's the conclusion?
    Have you received a new knife? Is it better than the original one you received? Do you recommend a Ran knife?

BTW, my first name is Ran... it would be cool to have a knife with my name already on it (just as an extra bonus)
    Hi, I never ship back the knife, because my local shipping agent donot accept Knife to ship, so I keep this so call defective knife.

If you want to buy, I would recommend you to go for it. To be fair with Ran, it is still a excellent workmanship knife with VG-10 core and damascus blade, At the affordable price. It is the knife could accompany you for a life time or even few generation, if you take care of it.

From this time experience, I was very satisfy with the Yaxell company management handle my complain, they are polite, not trying to escape their responsibility, willing to accept my commends, quick response.

Yaxell Ran or even Gou knife still a reliable product.

Is always good to spend $200 to buy a VG-10 core knife then spend the same amount of $ buy a knife which can be rust easily.

I have some experience with Yaxell Ran, and it's generally a solid knife. But you say you are interested in the 8" chef and noted it's lightness and excellent balance...what is your definition of a light and well-balanced knife? Because the Ran 8" isn't exactly this definition for me, the handy is a bit on the heavy side and throws off the balance. I'm not saying no one should ever consider Ran, but in your case I'm not sure expectations are in line with the actual knife.

My current chef knife is 210mm and it weighs 260 grams. It feels somewhat heavy on the blade. I ended up using it mostly for meats and poultry cutting. I also have a cheap knife which is 200mm and very comfortable for me to hold and use for most tasks, but it is not as sharp and cannot hold an edge as my chef knife, yet I use it much more. I was looking for a decent knife to replace my cheap knife, to use for most of my daily needs (normally it includes lots of fruit and vegetable cutting.)

Light for me means around 200 grams. 200mm long blade feels right. The Yaxell Ran seems just the right choice also for my budget. I already went for it and ordered one. Thank you all. Wish me luck