• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

(from EU) Sakai Takayuki Syousin 240mm WA Swedish stainless steel gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

before you ask - yes - this is the knife that was the 3rd price from James back in late 2014. The reason for me to sell it is that I just fell in love with my gyuto from Andy and also I prefer more 'workhorse' style knives.

The knife:
The blade is made from swedish stainless steel. It has nearly flat, slightly convex grind and is very thin behind the edge. I think it does qualifies for a laser. The blade has perfect mirror polish. Whatever you see in the photos is either reflection or not fully removed fingerprints. The handle is Ho-wood with really lovely buffalo horn ferule that is slightly 'blond' on one side. The balance of the blade is thanks to lightweight handle some 2-3 cm from the heel (towards the tip), so the knife has slight (and in my opinion pleasant) front-forward balance. The spine and the heel are semi-rounded. The heel was rounded asymmetrically with right-handed user in mind I guess. The blade is in spite its thinness quite stiff.

Dimensions:
- heel to tip: 240 mm
- height at the heel: 50 mm
- width of spine at heel: 2.1 mm
- width of spine at middle: 1.9 mm
- width of spine 1cm from the tip: 0.6 mm
- weight: 152 g
- handle: Ho wood with semi-blond buffalo horn bolster

Condition:
I have just the knife just couple of times and only touched up the blade once on 2000 and 6000 stones. There are no marks or scratches on the blade. I think it is fair to say that the knife is mint. I did put a coat of board butter on the handle from time to time not to let it dry and will do so again before the knife will be shipped.

Price:
$380 (340 €) + shipping

Shipping:
The knife will be shipped from Germany, so no additional taxes should be applied by local customs for EU buyers.
Insured shipping:
- within Germnay: 7 €
- within EU: 14 €
- the rest of the world: 16 - 42 € depending on your location, please ask for exact quote.

Payment:
Money transfer or PayPal.

Please note:
- If you have any questions, just reply to this thread.
- When you write me a PM please specify the knife - I am selling multiple items at the moment
- Please no trades, I need to recover some cash as some other knives will be coming in the future.

Now for some photos:

No, the choil is not bent, but is just asymmetrically rounded and it looks like this in the photo. Look closely at the profile photos above and notice the difference between right and left side at the heel.

Back