Let the Gude times roll!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
A few weeks ago DaveB tipped us off to an excellent sale on the Gude serrated/bread knife. What a steal!!!! $50!!!
So excited, I've always wanted one of these. It's nowhere near as awesome as their mack-daddy damascus(around $1.5k) version, but this is as good as it will ever be for me.
Krusty loaves beware!
I rehandled this one in some Box Elder burl. I had a large piece of this that I used to do a vintage Henckel for Son. This is my favorite piece of wood I've ever had. I was lucky that the piece was large enough and that my bandsaw behaved while cutting it into scales.
20150707_081729_zpsukvhtney.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150707_081759_zpsovckiysl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150707_081813_zpskquxunho.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150707_082102_zpsxsvfuiys.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150707_081905_zpsnlldldsf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Okay, this is the last one I'll be doing for personal use for a while. Time for some PIF stuff. You will definitely be seeing a different handle on the ole Tojiro bread knife for a giveaway!

If you told me that was a $500 knife id believe you. absoulutley amazing. Like jaw droping

Box elder is one of my favorite woods...looks great Chris!

nice to see you doing something for yourself :)

Excellent! Looks perfect.

Stefan

Nice job Chris. How bad did it suck though? They look....complicated to rehandle.

Nice job Chris. How bad did it suck though? They look....complicated to rehandle.

Not too bad Dave. There's definitely some boo-boos and a few scuffs on the metal here and there, but it coulda been a lot worse! Being able to get the stock scales off and use them as a template was key. There are some weird angles here and there as well, but nothing a little(lot) of epoxy mixed with sawdust won't fix.

Oh and thanks to everyone for the compliments!

That's one beaut of a handle Chris. I love the thread title too. Very "cleaver".

Wow, that's beautiful! You did a great rehandle job! I love the wood...

Back