Media Aritsugu A-type Wa-petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rehandled in black ash burl with an ebony ferrule by Mike Henry.

add8c1d3.jpg

2bb25efb.jpg

cb9c00b7.jpg

8c10171b.jpg

f3dc7afd.jpg

Really cool, honestly. I like the neat looks and the longer gap between the heel and handle, makes the knife look "lighter" somehow.
I cannot say I like ornate style but handle itself looks perfect and fits the knife nicely

Really cool, honestly. I like the neat looks and the longer gap between the heel and handle, makes the knife look "lighter" somehow.
I cannot say I like ornate style but handle itself looks perfect and fits the knife nicely

That's exactly where the old handle was before I removed it. That is the first Aritsugu I have ever seen and was suprised by how much choil was exposed, and how thin it was!

Thanks, .030 nickle ,and .032 white vulcanized spacer

Ahhhh, I was wondering if the whiter stuff was 410 or 416.

Medium carbon martensitic stainless steel. 410 is the plain stuff and 416 has a trace of sulphur to make it free machining. 416 is much easier to work with, but it is hard to find in really thin stock for things like spacers. 410 is harder to cut, but readily available. Some folks use them for San Mail cladding. Most of us guys in the non kitchen knife game use is as one of the basic materials for guards, bolsters, buttcaps and other fittings. There is kind of a general dislike of brass and nickel silver among many collectors because of the tarnish issue. In the case of brass, many prefer silicon bronze or copper instead.
What's that

Latest posts

Back