Newbie looking for a first gyuto (wtb a 240 fujiyama konosuke)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lachance89

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Felix i'm from Quebec, Canada and i'm fairly new to this never ending world of japanese blades. I've been thinking about buying me a good chef knife for about three years and over the last weeks i've been looking over forums and distributors to get the basics of it. I think i finally made a choice about my first gyuto and i was thinking about a 240mm konosuke fujiyama in wheter blue or white steel. The look is classic and the blade is not too thin at the pinch grip wich allows to get a solid feel. So if you guys want to get rid of one these, here i am.

Thanks,

Felix

Felix, Welcome to the forum.

If you want some free advice on different knives that may suit your requirements pls fill out the questionnaire under "Kitchen Knife" and you will get some suggestions..

If you want to post a Want to Buy thread, there is a place for that. It's not in this forum and there are rules. Pls review them.

Again, welcome.

Yeah i know but it seems that i can't post threads in the buy/sell...

Yeah i know but it seems that i can't post threads in the buy/sell...

You need 50 posts bro. Id email tosho knife arts and see if hes getting any soon. Hé is the main konosuke dealer in canada. Based out of toronto.

i have an opportunity to get a brand new 210mm Yoshiaki Fujiwara (Kato) for 300$. Seems like a good deal but is it a good idea for a first gyuto?

Kato knives perform a bit differently from most others; good knife, but I wouldn't start off with it. Keep in mind that the Kato and Konosuke are both carbon steel knives so they'll need to be wiped, cleaned and thoroughly dried right after use unless you want to see rust. Also, they'll form a patina so they won't look shiny and pretty for very long.

i have an opportunity to get a brand new 210mm Yoshiaki Fujiwara (Kato) for 300$. Seems like a good deal but is it a good idea for a first gyuto?

Thats 250 off retail, id buy it regardless, even if you dont use it now you could save it for later or sell it at a profit, when you hit 50 posts youd easily get $400 for it here, but id probably keep it. Its considered one or thé best j knives on thé market.

Thats 250 off retail, id buy it regardless, even if you dont use it now you could save it for later or sell it at a profit, when you hit 50 posts youd easily get $400 for it here, but id probably keep it. Its considered one or thé best j knives on thé market.

Yeah i know! Thats what makes me hesitate... I found the Kaneshige 240mm kurouchi gyuto on Toshoknifearts very interesting at 199$ but unfortunatly went out of stock within a month...

I wouldn't rush...sounds like you really don't know what you want. As Dave suggested, there is a 'which knife should I buy questionnaire' that should be most beneficial in your situation.

Welcome to the forum.

Oh, and out of stock in a month must not be too popular, most that are in high demand don't even make it to the shelves. :laugh:

Yeah i know! Thats what makes me hesitate... I found the Kaneshige 240mm kurouchi gyuto on Toshoknifearts very interesting at 199$ but unfortunatly went out of stock within a month...

My first knife was a kohetsu 210 koruchi its like 120-130 usd new. Someone is selling one here for $80 might be worth making an offer on it. Awesome little knife 48mm blade height blue number 2 clad in stainless, takes a nice edge and super forgiving/low maintenance.

Well I spent my own money on one but I think you can do better for the price.

Circumstances left me with a Heiji instead. But in your price range there are still things I would buy instead.

Back