Quantcast
Why isn't the tang all the way in the handle? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why isn't the tang all the way in the handle?

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Is this another instance of the Japanese doing it that way because that is the way it was done in 1650?
    You really need to get a hold of a good Japnese kitchen knife. A good one.

I would be even LESS pleased if I had a really good one and it looked like that. Us neophytes call that "gapitis"
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    You really need to get a hold of a good Japnese kitchen knife. A good one.

I would be even LESS pleased if I had a really good one and it looked like that. Us neophytes call that "gapitis"
    I don't know if you have realized it but you have a sarcastic attitude towards Japanese cutlery. All you have shown is ignorance towards the skill and tradition that has been built up over centuries. As far as I've seen you "Talk the talk, but you can't walk the walk". Oh, and don't say "Us neophytes", it appears you're in a group of one.

Yes, I may have a slightly sarcastic attitude towards some aspects of Japanese cutlery and the mystique surrounding it. I am not insulting the skill that has been developed over the centuries. Tradition is another matter. The fact that the Japanese smiths still use archaic techniques and gear and manage to produce what they do is a glowing testament to their skill. Some of the REASONS that they continue to do things they way they do are a bit puzzling. I am not the only one who has posted in this thread that they don't like that gap. All i know is that if I presented a knife for judging in Atlanta that looked like that, I would be told to go home and try again next year........or maybe in two or three years.
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I don't know if you have realized it but you have a sarcastic attitude towards Japanese cutlery. All you have shown is ignorance towards the skill and tradition that has been built up over centuries. As far as I've seen you "Talk the talk, but you can't walk the walk". Oh, and don't say "Us neophytes", it appears you're in a group of one.

I was thinking ... (always dangerous)

One use for the gaps might have been to get a good grip to remove the blade from the handle.
    There could be a need to replace a damaged or worn out handle since metal can outlast wood, and is more valuable.

Machi never bothered me at all...I'm surprised it has bothered people that much.

To people who are not used to it like me, it looks like sloppy fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Machi never bothered me at all...I'm surprised it has bothered people that much.

All i know is that if I presented a knife for judging in Atlanta that looked like that, I would be told to go home and try again next year........or maybe in two or three years.
    Apples and oranges IMO. Haven't we seen successful knife makers in other disciplines have trouble making a good kitchen knife when first starting out? They are so different to me that I don't think your comment is a fair comparison at all in this example.

Count me in as another who doesn't like it.

-AJ

Hate it!!!