Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why isn't the tang all the way in the handle?

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    ... All i know is that if I presented a $250 hunter for judging in Atlanta that looked like that, I would be told to go home and try again next year........or maybe in two or three years.
    Last time I checked this forum is devoted towards kitchen knives, not some wall hanger hunter. As far as Japanese blacksmiths still using archaic techniques, have you ever heard of the idiom, "If it aint broke don't fix it"? These craftsmen are humble and highly skilled and turn out all the products that they care to. When you reach the level of craftsmanship that these Japanese blacksmiths have you'll understand.

I don't know if it is just the picture, but would anyone be really offended if I pointed out that the shoulders are not filed flat and even and the tang seems to be off center on that knife?
    In the scheme of things at $206 this is not an expensive knife.
    Also, quirkiness is kind of endearing.

Apparently the detail you pointed out was just not a priority, also the macro pic is greatly magnified and lit and optimized to reveal every detail without mercy.
    I'd rather have the knife perform well and have this quirkiness than look perfect under a microscope but not have and hold a good edge.

I hear an $10 electronic watch keeps better time than some fine Swiss $10,000 ones.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    People buy Japanese for the five cent handles? Or for how snug the knife fits into the five cent handles?

Japanese knives are about the cut. Everything past the machi is an afterthought.

To people who are not used to it like me, it looks like sloppy fit.
    I can definitely understand that when seeing for the first time. Maybe it is just my experience with many 'machi-ed' knives and them performing like complete beasts that has jaded me to its look...come to think of it, most of my favorite knives are wa-handled and have a machi...never really thought about that until now.

I like the look of the machi. I love Japanese aesthetics. Some people may not get it.

Ummmm, one of the W2 "wall hanger hunters" that I made a little while back got "tested" It dressed out two feral hogs without having to touch the edge. Since then, its owner, my brother, has dressed out 3-4 more hogs, a couple of whitetail deer and nilgai cow. But you are right. When he has it at home, it sets up on the bookshelf in his library. The bookshelf is built into the wall, so why it doesn't actually hang, I guess it is a wall hanger.
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Last time I checked this forum is devoted towards kitchen knives, not some wall hanger hunter. As far as Japanese blacksmiths still using archaic techniques, have you ever heard of the idiom, "If it aint broke don't fix it"? These craftsmen are humble and highly skilled and turn out all the products that they care to. When you reach the level of craftsmanship that these Japanese blacksmiths have you'll understand.

All I can say is stick around. You'll find it very interesting. As others have like yourself.

It's not about who makes the best knife but how.

I don't know if it is just the picture, but would anyone be really offended if I pointed out that the shoulders are not filed flat and even and the tang seems to be off center on that knife?
    You should see what some of the tangs look like when you remove the handle,you would piss yourself laughing.

I'd like to see some of your workmanship, I really would. You have some pictures you can share or some links from another forum that show your work?

That's why I came here. Even the information that I have gotten in the brief time that I have been here has been VERY helpful already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    All I can say is stick around. You'll find it very interesting. As others have like yourself.

It's not about who makes the best knife but how.