Rant!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
:rant:

I never let myself run out of bandsaw blades - I learned this lesson the hard way - so when I install my last blade into the machine I order more. This worked OK in the past until 2 weeks ago when I screwed up the last blade I had just installed through a stupid move. Now I was out of blades and needed one real bad.

So being that it was a Thursday afternoon I knew I had to get one over-nighted to me or I'd be without for the weekend. I searched the internet for a company who carried my size and could also get it to me the next day. The only source I found was MSC who is nearly twice as expensive but they offered next day delivery at no charge (some free upgrade thing they do) so I went with this. Late Friday afternoon the UPS man drops off my new blade.

Sat morning comes and I go to install it and guess what? Yeah - it doesn't fit - it's too damn small and ain't going on no matter what!

So I go back to the internet and go with my tried and trusted source that I've been using and order up two blades but I have no next day option with these folks, it's wait and wait and wait. Finally the new blades arrive yesterday afternoon and I rip the box open and go to install a new blade and guess what? Yeah - it doesn't fit - except this time it's too big by a long shot.

Too different vendors, same exact size blade ordered, same manufacturer (Lenox) supplied, one is too small and the other too big.....what are the chances of this?

So here I sit (again) with no damn bandsaw blade going into week #3. :angry1:

With your luck, I would suggest not ordering any new pairs of pants or shoes online either. But that sucks. Was it a vendor mistake or manufacturer mistake?

k.

I guess you have to reorder when you're down to two... :sofa:

Just fire up the jig saw! Or get some aerobic with a hacksaw.

I guess that I'll have to go down to Sears tomorrow and buy 4 of those crap ass carbon steel blades they stock so that I can keep moving while I wait for decent replacements to show...argh

Blade cost $$ tied up so far - $190

By tomorrow - ???

I guess that I'll have to go down to Sears tomorrow and buy 4 of those crap ass carbon steel blades they stock so that I can keep moving while I wait for decent replacements to show...argh

Blade cost $$ tied up so far - $190

By tomorrow - ???

Dave,
buy carbide tipped blade next time, Lenox brand. I use these for months on end and I cut everything. I will send you info where I get mine. Carbon blades last me about 20 cuts. Bimetal maybe 50. Carbide tipped - about 4-6 months, but get all the juice out of each. I pay about $75 for 6' blade.

M

I've been using the bi-metal Lenox but I'm always willing to upgrade.....of course right now even a sh*t ass carbon blade would be great to have. Yes please Marko send the info.

Dave, time to get back to your roots. Go for the coping saw and a hacksaw...

Oh boy, I chickened out on the carbon tipped ones because I only have small blocks to cut. But I went with the bi-metal. We will see where that takes me. Next time in the shop it's cutting time :)

Stefan

Oh boy, I chickened out on the carbon tipped ones because I only have small blocks to cut. But I went with the bi-metal. We will see where that takes me. Next time in the shop it's cutting time :)

Stefan

Make sure they fit before you NEED them....that's all I'm saying here. :D

I started this thread on 8/12 - it's 8/29 today and I still don't have a bandsaw blade here!!!!!!!! :bashhead:

I have blades ordered from three different places and I'm still waiting. This is unbelievable!

Dave you know that for all the time and expense so for you could have ordered a metal cutting bandsaw from grizzly and blades to go with it and be up and running now? Sorry to kick you while you are down :D
Del

Dave you know that for all the time and expense so for you could have ordered a metal cutting bandsaw from grizzly and blades to go with it and be up and running now? Sorry to kick you while you are down :D
Del

You're right.... :(

Or you could sharpen your old blades.........

The woodshop is up & running again! I just got in two bandsaw blades that actually fit my machine. :bliss:

Thanks to all of you who helped me out here. :thumbsup:

Dave

Only 2 blades? Time to reorder or you'll be posting in this thread again a week from now!

OK I'm back to rant again! :angry1:

Since I received my new blades (after waiting what - 4 weeks) I've killed so many blocks of wood with buckling.

I've tried every trick sent to me as well as changed blades and made adjustments, I've gone slow - I've gone fast and yet every other block I cut in half I watch the scales buckle. It's 75% to the outside but the inside buckles as well.

This woodworking is for the birds - give me steel anyday of the week! :viking:

OK I'm back to rant again! :angry1:

Since I received my new blades (after waiting what - 4 weeks) I've killed so many blocks of wood with buckling.

I've tried every trick sent to me as well as changed blades and made adjustments, I've gone slow - I've gone fast and yet every other block I cut in half I watch the scales buckle. It's 75% to the outside but the inside buckles as well.

This woodworking is for the birds - give me steel anyday of the week! :viking:

Maybe time to replace your bandsaw with an older US-made one? Delta comes to mind. You can pick one up for a couple of hundred of bucks locally, I bet.

Send me your wood and I will resaw it for you. 50 cuts? No problem. :)

I love my Shopsmith bandsaw with Lenox carbide blade. Smoothest cut ever.

M

Get yerself a nice backsaw and cut them by hand.
PICT0009.JPG

Dave, you may just want to go for a better band saw. Nearly two years ago I had issues much like yours, then I gave up and got a Powematic, problem solved. As far as modern tools go, this saw performs like the old green machines did back in shop class but with much better tracking and a very useful tensionnng system. Mine cuts true and is very simple to adjust both the table and fence. Just my .02

I'm so not wanting to hear the get a better saw suggestion but I can't ignore that this would likely solve some (or all) my problems. :(

Dave,
Rule number one - buy best equipment you can afford.
Rule number two - buy US made equipment, even it it's 20-50 years old, as long as it is in working order and good condition. You won't regret it.

M

Back