Tall sujihiki or short gyuto recommendations.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubrdr20

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of sujihikis, I have gesshin ginga in 240 which was my go to knife before getting kochi SC 240 sujihiki and have had kono hd in 270 which I gave to my gf soon after I purchased it, didn't really like the short height of hd. One of my favorite knives used to be aritsugu a type, my first Japanese gyuto.

I really like using kochi and feels like it is a sweet spot for me in terms of height at heel, and wanted to ask u guys if u can recommend me some other knives which have similar or even tad taller height at heel. 38mm to 42mm ish.

I'm really looking for some names so I can do my own reading but
Knife will be used in professional environment so hopefully with good edge retention, stainless would be nice and wa or yo in 240mm and yo handle in 270 would be my preference. Oh and 500 max but I'd like to keep it around 350.
Thank u in advance!

Custom knife maybe way to go but it's not an option for me cuz I'd like something now than having to wait for it.

Check out wakui sujis on bernal cutlerys site. Rumor has it, almost same grind as gesshin gengetsu.

Konosuke ginsans are pretty short from what I remember but if you wanna go for dank premium , get gesshin kagekiyo. Gyutos run shorter than your 49+ gyutos out there, but can be very useful. Honestly, one of my favorite sujis of all time has got to be the shun fuji slicer. Nice and tall for a suji, and awesome flat spot. I paid a hefty penny given retail prices at WS but the grind is boss. A lot of ppl hate on shuns but their fuji and Kramer meiji lines are sweeetl

Hey 420, thanx for the suggestions!
Honestly though I'm not much of shun guy myself only cuz.... They sell em at ws. Yea I know... Just never could get into it lol. Maybe it's too readily available? Plus few of the chefs I know already have shuns (along with masamotos and kikuiches) and it's just not fun having same knives (or even same brand) with someone working next to me. They sure do luv my kochi though. Haha. But since u recommended it I'll go check em out on my off day.

Man those kagekiyo are nice but I don't know how the handles will feel when working in pro environment. Feels like I'd have to baby em so not so sure.

Have u tried takeda yanagiba by any chance?

Yes I have. I'm very partial to takedas. Most of the ones I've handles had very big high and low spots and the grind was way too thick IMO. I did see one at ECG a couple years back . It was a 240 gyuto in "old grind" and that mofo was a beast. Other than that, I would avoid takedas. JNS sells toyama noborikoi and I had their 210 gyuto and their grind was phenomenal. Their sujis seem tall and very comfortable. I just ordered a 270 kagekiyo in wh 2 . I let you know how that feels in hand and etc once I put it through its paces. Enjoy the Kochi :)

Btw shuns blow but for some reason, I really really like their slicer. Wish I had never sold it :(

Back