Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom kiritsuke gyuto

Very nice Randy... I like the geometry proportions, good use of the Butchcarta, Congratulations!

Thanks for the comments and input.. Ill take some pics of the spine and tip. This Butchcarta burl is really cool looking stuff.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

I like the copper in the pin, very subtle. Nice job on that profile!

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    This looks good. Sort of like bienik's modified Forschner. How are the faces ground? Can you provide a spine shot at the tip? How thick is it right behind the edge? The bevel looks large. What is the angle at which you sharpened this knife?
    tk59, Here are a few photos of the spine and tip..
    The main grinds are full flats with slight convex added toward the blade edge. bevel angle is aprox 17*

Thanks again everyone for the comments and looking at my work.
    Its a Knife Life
    Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tip 001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	1415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tip 006.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	1414  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tip 010.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	1413  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    tk59, Here are a few photos of the spine and tip..
    The main grinds are full flats with slight convex added toward the blade edge. bevel angle is aprox 17*

Thanks again everyone for the comments and looking at my work.
    Its a Knife Life
    Randy
    Thanks. I'll be very interested to know how this blade performs.

would be nicer if that spine were a little more tapered

Maybe. I do think the very tip area needs to get thinner and probably the edge area judging from the size of the bevels.

Appreciate the input guys.. Im honing my skills and learning alot about what you are looking for in a blade.

Again Thanks for the comments and advise..

Stay Sharp
    Randy

Availible Knives

OK, after a little thought and getting a new battery in my digital calipers.. I would like to post some blade measurements.. This should help in determining what changes I can make on this one and future knives of this style and size to make them better cutters.

I will measure in the following places. Does that sound about right to everyone?
    first the spine above the heel, then half way point of the blade and just behind the tip, aprox 1/4"
    The second set will be same location but halfway down one the blade.
    The last set will be same location measured aprox 2 mm above the cutting edge.

Spine, 2.56mm 2.44mm 1.02mm
    Midway 1.85mm 1.87mm .090mm
    edge .66mm .65mm .66mm

I already have to agree with tk59.. the edge is to thick.. I will work on that and may taper the spine more.. any other suggestions?

For a blade this size, what would be the optimal thickness 2 mm above the cutting edge?

Thanks
    Randy

Availible Knives

This one went on a diet this afternoon! Now its mean, lean cutting machine! I weighed this when I first posted and it came in at 7.2oz. and now is at 6.7oz. All steel weight.. I dint touch the handle.

New measurements. are as follows.
    Spine, 2.56mm 2.34mm .83mm
    Midway, 1.63mm 1.43mm .62mm
    Edge, .49mm ..50mm ..48mm

New pics tomorrow.

Thanks again
    Randy

Availible Knives