Quantcast
Fresh WASABI. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fresh WASABI.

Served with napa cabbage kimchee and seaweed salad ,grilled shishito peppers .
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

[IMG][/IMG]

from JON'S shop.

Yum!!! What species of tuna is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by steeley View Post
    And some dinner.[IMG][/IMG]

Yellowfin not #1 grade but not bad.

Looks like saku block. Usually frozen stuff.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Nice. It has been a few years since I pulled any of that out of the water. In my area, you have to run at least 90 miles offshore to find those boys so we would catch them during marlin tournaments in the Gulf or in the Bahamas. We catch mostly blackfin tuna in Key West and Mexico which is very tasty but it does not travel well at all. You have to eat it within a couple of days at most, so it really doesn't see any commercial pressure. I will say this. Most foodies who haven't tried it would be VERY surprised at how good fresh rod and reel caught yellowfin (as in slicing off little chunks for yourself while you are cleaning the fish at the dock or eating it the same day)is even if it wouldn't make the top grades. There is a video of a yellowfin being cleaned on here and I was appalled at how much of that fish they guy had to throw away because the meat was all bloodshot and burned up by lactic acid. it looked like he may have tossed 40-50% of the fish. If the anglers know what they are doing, yellowfin caught on rod and reel are bled immediately upon hitting the boat and iced down. If we want to flash freeze tuna, we use what I call a brine slurpee which is a big cooler full of shaved ice and water with a couple of pounds of table salt added. No freezer burn and it freezes FAST.

From a local butcher shop a couple weeks ago. There was another higher grade piece that was smaller but more per pound, I think around $68/lb.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

How was it? Avon, CT., eh? Back when I was wee lad, I lived right around the corner from there in Manchester for 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post

From a local butcher shop a couple weeks ago. There was another higher grade piece that was smaller but more per pound, I think around $68/lb.

I didn't buy it. If I wanted foie I would just order it through work for about half the price per pound. Just thought it was neat that they carried it.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Your local food peddler can surprise you on occasion. A couple of times a year, usually around the holidays, my local Publix supermarket gets a shipment of a couple of boxes of real live prime beef, usually a couple of standing ribs roasts and their evil single serving spawn, the bone-in ribeye. A good time is had by all.