what's one food you ate as a kid that you cannot stomach now?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
Me? Canned veggies.

how i ate that as a kid is unknown to me as an adult. the texture, that tinny taste.. was at a chinese restaurant and mis-ordered. dish came out with some sauce based loosely on creamed corn. over rice. wow..i remember like creamed corn as a kid..now not so much.

you?

Any kind of meat. Over time my stomach started to struggle digesting it so I had to stop eating it. Still love the smell of BBQ

Beets - bumper crop in the garden and overate them when I was about 10 and haven't wanted them since then. Every 5 years or so I will try them to see if it has changed .....it hasn't. I can't even smell them without wanting to gag.

Spaghetti o's and Chef Boyardee Ravioli and most campbell's soups (except tomato)

In addition to the frozen/canned things mentioned above: any kind of sugary substance with any kind of savory...I remember loving salt on watermelon, for example...revolting to me now.

I think my range has expanded greatly, and I can't easily think of any childhood foods I can't have today. Maybe Velveeta?

Mmm pretty much any low quality canned/packaged foods nothing really comes to mind besides spaghetti and tomato sauce. It was made like every couple of days in my house with crappy canned tomato sauce, whole wheat pasta, and Kraft Parm. makes me shudder just thinking about..

McDonalds and a lot of other major fast food brand burgers. Once in a blue moon, when I do it out of nostalgia or expedience, I regret it.

Those banana marshmallow candies. Or anything super sweet like cakes with that fake frosting.

Like mentioned b4 canned ravioli. Lesser quality candies arent as appealing now either.

Canned spaghetti. Loved that shite when I was a kid but haven't eaten in years. It's not that I couldn't, there's just so many better things to eat.

There's a lot of things I wouldn't eat as a kid that I love now. Olives, anchovies, beer....

I'm still not a fan of lower intestinal offal. I was working in France a while ago and they provided food for us while we worked in the winery. I understand a little French, so when asked 'do you like sausage, it's a unique delicacy' I replied 'yes, of course'. I was then introduced to anduoillette, which looks and smells a like like a steaming turd. It's essentially low, low intestine stuffed with coarse chopped pieces of more intestine. I had to force it down to be polite and was almost gagging. The organs and upper offal I'm ok with, and even like if done well. The poo chute however should go in the bin and stay there..

Potted meat, vienna sausages, pimento cheese. I used to mix a can of potted meat with a can of beanie weenies and eat it with crackers for lunch.

Fast food: burgers (specifically from McDonald's), taco bell
From my culture: balut, diniguan
Candy: fruity tootsie rolls, almond joy
Other things I loved as a kid, but hate now: SPAM, canned corn beef

White bread fried in margarine. One of my first cooking attempts.

Uncooked shin ramen. I would crush the bag mix with the spicy powder and ate as snack.

White bread fried in margarine. One of my first cooking attempts.

Sounds like stove top toast. Actually we used to have something similar for breakfast. We'd tear a hole in the middle and then cook an egg in the hole. I think I'd still like that though.

Sounds like stove top toast. Actually we used to have something similar for breakfast. We'd tear a hole in the middle and then cook an egg in the hole. I think I'd still like that though.

Frog/Toad in the hole! I used to top that with a slice of american cheese, and use the cut out part to make a small piece of cinnamon-sugar toast....hmmm, now I'm thinking how I could update that to make it worthwhile....

I remember using various shaped cookie cutters for the egg, fun times when you're younger. Still like eggs and butter so that's not my pick for this thread.

I'd probably say anything processed, refined, canned, sugary, not cooked from scratch, etc. Zoodles, alphagetti, Kraft Dinner, hot dogs, fast food, soft-drinks, deli meat, as some examples

That's interesting, I hated salmon and other healthier options when I was younger but like them now, it's like a complete 180° turnaround

Same here. We had salmon twice this week which isn't unusual for us.

As far as what I had as a kid and can't stand: gamey, smelly lamb chops that my mother pan fried. Blerch!

Latest posts

Back