My blade scratch repair and polish work

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_bsg

Reaction score
BEFORE
19516763969_45d87b3154_b.jpg

AFTER
19707941441_1c0ddf9606_b.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

BEFORE
19696235052_71c133e4cd_b.jpg

AFTER
19703394095_6c0b73a218_b.jpg

I thought that was pretty mild. Anyway, it's nice work on the Henckels.

Thank you guys:

I use all waterproof sand paper to sand / buffer with water.

I first use #300 to get rid of scratches, if scratch too deep, i will use #150, to ensure all scratch gone ( scratch normally are diagonal or vertical lines), only left the sand paper horizontal lines, then proceed the next stage.

2nd, #500 to buffer finer

3rd, use #800 buffer finer

4th, use #1000, now you can already see your face on the blade, buy still have sandpaper lines.

Lastly, use #2000 to polish, there are still thin lines but now is already very mirror polished look.

I want to keep the henckles logo, so I use stickers to paste on top, to prevent it from getting sand papered.

Hope it helps.

Thx for reading.

Wow, looks nice...let me send you all my heckles

You really did a great job!

Do you recall roughly how long it took for each blade?

Whoops, pardon pun.....iPad spell correct

Thanks Mas4T0, each knife took about 40-60 minutes.

Thanks Mas4T0, each knife took about 40-60 minutes.

Very fast!

But did you find that your sandpaper quickly dulls and wears away? I do, and will usually start out this way and then just use slurry and stone powder thereafter, which conveniently breaks down if natural, or at least keeps on providing abrasion if synthetic. You definitely get more of the shiny finish with paper and synthetics, as you did.

Hi Asteger, sand paper do get dull, but if use good quality sand paper it will last longer.

I dont use whole pc of sand paper to rub the blade, I cut them into small pcs usually double the knife blade, so is easy to rub by one finger.

To get better shiny, the last 10-20 rubs use #2000, can rub with soup.

Anyway sand paper not expensive.

If want to have ultra mirror polish finish, can first apply autosol metal polish apply on blade, use felt wheel attach onto hand drill, let it in fast speed roll over the blade few times,

It will be ultra mirror polished.

I did it on my swiss army knife.

Or you could save yourself some elbow grease. Get a few different cloth wheels for your bench grinder. Also purchase a few different buffing compounds with CrO2 being the final stage.
Be careful not to go too hot.
Be careful not to be too careless. The "Heavy Metal" of death WILL drive the tip of the knife through your fingernail, finger, bone, etc.
Yes I do know this first hand(no pun intended) and thank God for Opiate pain meds.

One great trick I learned about wet/dry is to soak your pieces for 24 hrs, or at least overnight.

Yes the 3M black wet paper it was designed to be soaked before use.

Designed to be soaked? So it will work better after overnight of soaking the sandpaper?

Dry is most aggressive, a bit of water next, then something like a bit of liquid detergent for more refinement.

i think you should rethink your choice to keep the logo. If you know it's henckels who cares if people look and don't see the two little guys holding hands (weird)... I think the blades would look much better with the whole face polished like that. Great job on the polishing by the way. :)

Nice job. Thanks for the idea. Hope you don't mind if I borrow it :)

It lasts longer if soaked and won't load as fast, but hey to each his own application. Yes a little detergent helps lubricate it. For dry sanding I prefer 3M Gold.

Did you sand along the length of the blade or from spine to edge?

Back