D. Martell File Knife Refurb

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
My next door neighbors are pretty cool, the middle son (oldest in the house - I think 19-20) has done me a few favors since we moved in last August. He's plowed my (long and very steep) driveway a whole bunch of times (without me asking) as well as mowed my (2 acre) lawn when it looked like it needed mowing. He's just one of those work hard kind of guys that you don't see much of today. So when he showed me this knife of his (that he had bought about 6 yrs ago at an outdoors show) that's been made from a file - all rusty and one scale missing I knew I had the opportunity to repay his kindness.

The knife appears to have been made by someone who knew how to grind but not how to use pins in handles - LOL. I removed the remaining scale and set out to flatten the tang by removing the teeth (that sat under the scales) but this didn't work out so well for me and I converted it to a hidden tang. :D

I used a block of this crazy two toned amboyna burl that I scored a batch of to fashion the new handle from. This particular block was a little short for use on a full size kitchen knife and had a live end on it which I decided to leave. The original handle was pretty straight where I went with a curve and then blended into the finger notch.

On the blade I removed what rust I could from the file teeth and then blued then over. I then smoothed over the teeth to make them less grabby. The bevels were then re-ground. I still have to put an edge on it (which will bring the tip to pointy-ness but otherwise it's done.

Oh, and the lucky bastid has a sheath (from another knife) that fits this knife like it was made for it. :thumbsup:

Just thought I'd share with you folks.....

P1010024.JPG

P1010030.JPG

P1010035.JPG

P1010038.JPG

P1010043.JPG

P1010019.JPG

Dave, that is really good lookin. Wow.

That looks awesome and really is a great way to repay him! To actually repay the favour properly with your own time and effort shows that you respect him and value what he did for you, which I'm sure will man a lot.

Back