Hi from Canoga Park. (Or does it sound better to say "Greater Los Angeles"?)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagstaff

Reaction score
My name is Andrew and I'm a knife addict. (I'm a total lightweight compared to most people who post here, though!)

Jon B. pointed me here. I haven't been much of a participant in forums in general for a long time. Here I lurk more than post, but there's always someone more knowledgeable than I posting within the hours after I consider it, so it keeps me a bit quieter online than in person.

I like to cook almost as much as I like knives, which is all kinds of backwards -- and probably much like many of us! And am just a home cook, and not a particularly accomplished one -- I just learned it's better, less expensive, and in my case came about out of a concern with control of what was in food and making healthier choices. I believe a thing worth doing is worth doing badly (at least until I can do it well).

My knives up till ecently were French carbons. It is because of an internet search on one aspect of those that I discovered various forums to lurk around, and found a new enthusiasm for Japanese knives. I used to participate in a forum that greeted n00b's with "Sorry about your wallet!" Certainly knives aren't as wallet-killing as some things, but I hear that phrase in my head just from typing here, too!

Hello everyone.

:ntmy:
Which french carbons? I have a special place in my heart for Sabatier Ks.

Hello Eamon

Mine are the Thiers-Issard "Nogents". So close to your special-place knives, but not quite the same. If I were replacing my 10" chef's, I might go Sab-K (which is a bit less expensive and maybe has a slightly more abusable handle). I really love these, still, actually. I need to spend a bit more time sharpening -- I had them "professionally" sharpened but now can do a better job on stones than the "pro" edge they were given.

Thanks for the little yellow "Hi" guy!

Welcome! Great knowledge around here, and some good fun thrown into the mix ;)

Welcome. It has not been so much "hide the wallet" as I really need to cook more to not only justify a few purchases, but also really try and compare a few knives to see what I really like.

Welcome. It has not been so much "hide the wallet" as I really need to cook more to not only justify a few purchases, but also really try and compare a few knives to see what I really like.
Yes, it should be more about cooking any way. That's certainly what got me interested. But somehow it's often not about that. Depends on mood!

Thanks for all the greetings, everyone!

Back