Weird Vintage stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found some strange vintage stainless knives at the in laws' . . . Very cheap feeling and wonky profiles. Was this style fashionable at some point, maybe 1960s? Very flexible boning knives maybe? Or odd steak knives?

28chloy.jpg

My nan has those or something similar. Presume they are steak knives and I've used them as such.

According to my age old brain, those are what grandma used to call "Grapefruit" knives. Especially helpful after halving the grapefruit and cuttting into the sections you would insert the knife between the pith and the meat, flex and push till it rached the center and rotate either the grapefruit or "saw' with the knife all the way around until you met your original cut.

According to my age old brain, those are what grandma used to call "Grapefruit" knives. Especially helpful after halving the grapefruit and cuttting into the sections you would insert the knife between the pith and the meat, flex and push till it rached the center and rotate either the grapefruit or "saw' with the knife all the way around until you met your original cut.

No kidding! They are very flexible so I can see how it could conform to the curve of the grapefruit. Interesting now I want to run out and buy one for breakfast to try :knife:

They do look like grapefruit knives, and I'm sure they are, although the ones I normally see have an additional curve in the blade, see...

images

45C66FE9.jpg

Back