Sous Vide London Broil?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
I've got a 7lb london broil...thinking about a SV, followed by ice bath and sear/hotsmoke on the grill...anybody ever SV london broil? or a steak this size?

Yes, I've SV'ed the L.Broil. Not one quite this large though. I went over on my time and it came out really mealy in texture. I like the idea of a couple/few days brine, some SV and a good somkin'.
FWIW, I've had a lot of issues with SV (long times not steaks) and beef. I think I've only had beef ribs come out decent once, and every time I do a larger cut like LB or chuck roast, it sucks.

Yes, I've SV'ed the L.Broil. Not one quite this large though. I went over on my time and it came out really mealy in texture. I like the idea of a couple/few days brine, some SV and a good somkin'.
FWIW, I've had a lot of issues with SV (long times not steaks) and beef. I think I've only had beef ribs come out decent once, and every time I do a larger cut like LB or chuck roast, it sucks.

Yeah, I've got some chuckies that I SVd at too high a temp...can't manage to get them off the heat before they are dry....

brine?! for beef?! I was thinking maybe 12 hrs at about 120F...then icebath...then the next day onto the heat?

Yes, brine for beef!
The best success I've had with slow and low SV beef so far was with the ribs. After trying a lot of different times and temps I found one that was a higher temp for a shorter period of time. Still not a fan of how the fat and connective tissue came out, but at least most of it was edible.
What I'm trying to say is -Google a bunch of different ones and find one that seems unlike anything else you've tried. If it doesn't work out, you can always make some new Birkenstocks out of the leftovers.

Back