Blade Guard inspired by Stefan Keller Handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at Home Depot or Rona recently and saw some Duck (brand) tape, and even though it cost 2x what regular would have I knew I had to buy it for a little project.

I have the generic sayas for some of my knives but couldn't find them in certain sizes at JCK for some (lefty western Deba, small parer, Misono 360 bread knife, etc.). It was getting annoying having some of these sitting around in the open, so until I get around to committing the time necessary to that basswood I bought for making sayas, these "blade guards" will suffice.

Here is the tape I bought, I was immediately reminded of Stefan's Hello Kitty handle from this thread (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/16683-The-cutest-wa-handle-ever!) when I saw it, and knew it would be a good fit for the task opposed to regular run of the mill duct tape:
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1437275911.523487.jpg

I just used some non-corrugated cardboard from an old cereal box I had lying around (don't eat cereal anymore and didn't have too much in terms of alternatives that I could think of) offset slightly larger than the dimensions of the blade and wrapped in tape. First two are a ZK SG-2 Damascus parer and Misono Swedish steel 165mm western Deba:
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1437276359.750014.jpg

They have a reasonably snug fit, enough that I know they won't slide out. Good enough in the interim. Now I can put them in the same kitchen drawer with their saya clad brethren. I plan to make one for my Takeda unless it looks like I'll get to that basswood in the near future (unlikely). I think I'll plan the tape layout better next time too, since the Hello Kitty pattern is repeating, I'd like to see about lining them up to overlap and look more tidy. Regardless it was a fun project for a Saturday afternoon.
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1437276827.982377.jpg

This is why your among my favorite members. Blade guards look sick I wonder what would happen if I brought them into the restaurant :/

Naw that's bush league, but thanks though :). I must admit they have decent fit; you can easily slide them in/out and there is enough resistance that you can hold the blade guard upside down and the knife won't fall out (yet), that includes the western Deba which isn't no featherweight. Pretty good friction fit lol

Back