new knife time yaxell gou or miyabi 6000mct

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew78

Reaction score
first post on here so hello guys .iv decided its time to upgrade my knifes and finally after a lot of searching come to a decision between thes two knifes.personally im leaning towards the yaxell knifes as i prefer the look of them a bit more and iv red that the miyabi are a bit heavy in the handle ,i like these as im after sg2 steel that should hold a good edge longer . any advice would be welcome and still open to sugestions
https://www.steamer.co.uk/chopping_...hefs_knives/yaxell_gou_25_5cm_chefs_knife.htm
http://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-miyabi-6000mct-gyutoh-24-cm-34073-241-by-zwilling.htm

first post on here so hello guys .iv decided its time to upgrade my knifes and finally after a lot of searching come to a decision between thes two knifes.personally im leaning towards the yaxell knifes as i prefer the look of them a bit more and iv red that the miyabi are a bit heavy in the handle ,i like these as im after sg2 steel that should hold a good edge longer . any advice would be welcome and still open to sugestions
https://www.steamer.co.uk/chopping_...hefs_knives/yaxell_gou_25_5cm_chefs_knife.htm
http://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-miyabi-6000mct-gyutoh-24-cm-34073-241-by-zwilling.htm

I bought this very knife from Steamer for my Dad. It is a very good cutter and a real bling piece in a good way, I was impressed with the fit and finish. I lean more towards artisan knifes but it you want a low maintenance good looking knife why not.

Just make sure you are happy with your choice. You can try it in store too, they'll provide you with a board and a few veggies.

For this sort of price (quite a bit less actually) I would recommend the Megumi: https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/brands/yu-kurosaki/megumi/gyuto-240mm

That's a tough decision. I like the looks of both knives and have experience with the Yaxell. It is a decent knife, especially for the price. I do like SG2 steel quite a bit as well, but the hardness of this knife makes it a little bit fragile and prone to chipping.
I personally prefer the looks/profile of the Miyabi and they have a slightly better reputation than the Yaxell. I do not have any experience with the steel type other than on a Miyabi bread knife(not a good comparison).
Try to take the time to fill out this questionnaire http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/12791-The-quot-Which-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2 and maybe we can send some more recommendations your way.

I bought this very knife from Steamer for my Dad. It is a very good cutter and a real bling piece in a good way, I was impressed with the fit and finish. I lean more towards artisan knifes but it you want a low maintenance good looking knife why not.

Just make sure you are happy with your choice. You can try it in store too, they'll provide you with a board and a few veggies.

For this sort of price (quite a bit less actually) I would recommend the Megumi: https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/brands/yu-kurosaki/megumi/gyuto-240mm

good to hear steamer will allow you to try them in store.i have one town but couldnt recal seeing them in there the last time i was in there a few weeks back ,ill have to pop in and ask.really like the megumi but im not a big fan of the j style handles ,mainly why iv split between my two choice at the moment ,as they are similler to the handles of my currant knifes but just a big up grade in steel quality and craftsmanship.
most of my work with the new knifes will be more veg and fruit bassed with some meats work but nothing that will envolve much in the way of bones and any work of that kind i shall use one of my x50 knifes that will be replaced by the new knifes .

thanks for the welcome nyfnerd
im leaning towards the yaxell at the moment as i just prefer the overal design.both are pretty similar for steel and rc but iv red that the miyabi is balanced towards the heel which puts me of a little .also quite like the pro j knifes too .a bit easyier on the wallet for price but just not sure what kind of edge ill get on them with the steel type used .again you can see were im leaning to for handle type
http://www.bestknives.co.uk/8-seki-kanetsugu-pro-j-gyuto-knife-230mm-ice-hardened-steel.html

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
chefs,petty,slicer
Are you right or left handed?
right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
western more so than j
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
for chefs knife 200-250mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
idealy yes
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
£300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
professional
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
sliceing,chopping,mincing,slicing meat some poultry work
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
x50 steel knifes
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
chopping and rocking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified
below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
take a good sharp edge that will also stand up and hold its edge in medium to heavy use

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
not to fussed,do like damascus though,handle ideally not wood as easyier to keep clean in kitchen

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
like a lightish knife .with a good balance were handle meets blade

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
like my chef knife to be a good push cutting knife ,fairly easy to sharpen but not to bothered if it takes a little time

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
would like as good as possable edge retention but somthing that im not having to hone all the time like with my currant knifes

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
i already do .i have a edge pro system for working old knifes back for genral use for the guys in the kitchen that work for me
and 1000 3000 and 8000 grit wet stones, leather strope for my own knifes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I have both gou and 6000mct. Both of them are great knives, but I prefer gou over 6000mct. The cutting performance are pretty much the same, 6000mct have better handle, however the in-hand feeling and the overall finishing on the blade is not as good as gou. Just my opinion by the way.

Welcome To THE forums! You better take your feet in your hands and run as fast as you can while YOU still can...

When I came here I was eyeing the Yaxell Gou too. Man, I am glad I came here before I bought it!!! It sure IS a good knife but I prefer Artisan knives too, wa or Western doesn't matter but FOR ME there are knives out there which attracted me more! But hey, what do I know? What I like others don't like maybe!? Enjoy the decision making and then using your knife!

Welcome To THE forums! You better take your feet in your hands and run as fast as you can while YOU still can...

When I came here I was eyeing the Yaxell Gou too. Man, I am glad I came here before I bought it!!! It sure IS a good knife but I prefer Artisan knives too, wa or Western doesn't matter but FOR ME there are knives out there which attracted me more! But hey, what do I know? What I like others don't like maybe!? Enjoy the decision making and then using your knife!
thanks for posting ,so what knife did you end up going with if you dont mind me asking ?

quite like thes also
https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/brands/masakage/yuki/gyuto-95-240mm
also what are the kifes in your profile pic mroli ? they look very nice

quite like thes also
https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/brands/masakage/yuki/gyuto-95-240mm
also what are the kifes in your profile pic mroli ? they look very nice

Teruyasu Fujiwara, Maboroshi No Meito series with finger rest.

After my numerous purchases these are still my go to knives but beware as the magic is in the blade, Mr Fujiwara's handles and finish are best described as rustic! They are available in the UK through he Chopping Block Co although I bought mine directly from the maker.

Teruyasu Fujiwara, Maboroshi No Meito series with finger rest.

After my numerous purchases these are still my go to knives but beware as the magic is in the blade, Mr Fujiwara's handles and finish are best described as rustic! They are available in the UK through he Chopping Block Co although I bought mine directly from the maker.

wow ,i really like the look of them ,i wasnt really looking at carbon steel but think these really do look nice .what is the white 1 steel like for maintenance ? i belive there a little more high maintenance than the blue steel ?
think these may have muddied the water of my choice a little more :biggrin: certainly not cheap but really want to spend on some knifes that will last and not disappoint me .what is the the balance like on them if you dont mind all the questions .i really like a knife that balances over the center ,they look like they will be comftable over long periods of use with the finger grip hold too with the finger rests

wow ,i really like the look of them ,i wasnt really looking at carbon steel but think these really do look nice .what is the white 1 steel like for maintenance ? i belive there a little more high maintenance than the blue steel ?
think these may have muddied the water of my choice a little more :biggrin: certainly not cheap but really want to spend on some knifes that will last and not disappoint me .what is the the balance like on them if you dont mind all the questions .i really like a knife that balances over the center ,they look like they will be comftable over long periods of use with the finger grip hold too with the finger rests

They are very easy to maintain. Only the edge is carbon, the cladding is stainless so you just need to wash immediately after cutting and dry. The edge will take a patina creating a contrast with the cladding.

Between white and blue the differences are minimal, I have not noticed much difference with my blue knives.

Balance wise the point is near the pinch grip. They are a bit pricey but you can save a lot by buying direct, the main problem being the huge price jump between the 210 and 240 gyuto...that is why I went for the 210 and bought a 240 from another maker with a very similar design:

http://www.magma-tools.de/Director?page=nextpage Yoshikane SKD.

Hi Matthew

I live in England too )south east) and bought my first J knives from Steamer Trading. I have had the Yaxell (I have it to my brother in the end) and personally think it has odd geometry and is way overpriced for what it is, and little different to the various Shun and Kasumi lines that Steamer Trading also sell. Since those early days I have learned a great deal and would probably suggest you skip the relatively mass produced quasi upper end knives stage.

AJ

They are very easy to maintain. Only the edge is carbon, the cladding is stainless so you just need to wash immediately after cutting and dry. The edge will take a patina creating a contrast with the cladding.

Between white and blue the differences are minimal, I have not noticed much difference with my blue knives.

Balance wise the point is near the pinch grip. They are a bit pricey but you can save a lot by buying direct, the main problem being the huge price jump between the 210 and 240 gyuto...that is why I went for the 210 and bought a 240 from another maker with a very similar design:

http://www.magma-tools.de/Director?page=nextpage Yoshikane SKD.
great thank you for your help .so how would i go about buying direct to save my pennies ? is there a big wait for shipping ?

Hi Matthew

I live in England too )south east) and bought my first J knives from Steamer Trading. I have had the Yaxell (I have it to my brother in the end) and personally think it has odd geometry and is way overpriced for what it is, and little different to the various Shun and Kasumi lines that Steamer Trading also sell. Since those early days I have learned a great deal and would probably suggest you skip the relatively mass produced quasi upper end knives stage.

AJ

thanks for the help adrian.im also south east (eastbourne) did take a quick look at the yaxells today on my way to work ,first impressions were they were nice knifes but just didnt feel quite right and a lot of money to spend on a mistake ..really starting to lean towards the Teruyasu Fujiwara, Maboroshi No Meito knifes now.almost ended up arguing with the manger in steamer as we were talking about sharpening and she told me i would have to sharpen the knifes once a week as thats what they had been taught in training.i said i thought that seemed a bit over the top for the steel used and how long it should hold its edge but she insisted they should be sharpened once weekly :)

Matthew

Don't pay any attention to what the shop manager said. They sell all kinds of kitchnwares and have insignificant expertise. How frequently a knife should be sharpened is obviously dependent on the amount of use and what board it is used on, as well as the steel and the style of sharpening. It is a futile argument.

Spend some time perusing this site before making a choice. Though I am London based, I have a house in Kent, so not so far from Eastbourne. PM me if you want to have a chat.

In your shoes I would either wait for a good WTS on this site or import directly from Japan. Your budget will allow you to find a very good general purpose knife.

Adrian

Matthew

Don't pay any attention to what the shop manager said. They sell all kinds of kitchnwares and have insignificant expertise. How frequently a knife should be sharpened is obviously dependent on the amount of use and what board it is used on, as well as the steel and the style of sharpening. It is a futile argument.

Spend some time perusing this site before making a choice. Though I am London based, I have a house in Kent, so not so far from Eastbourne. PM me if you want to have a chat.

In your shoes I would either wait for a good WTS on this site or import directly from Japan. Your budget will allow you to find a very good general purpose knife.

Adrian

yes the moment im thinking importing direct could be the best choice.im going to be looking to purchase a few knifes as i want to pretty much replace my currant set as a new job has allowed me a little more financial freedom to get some nice knifes .big thank you for the offer of help too .yup the store manager was just regugating the basics of what they had been taught but did get quite defensive when i questioned her advice .

great thank you for your help .so how would i go about buying direct to save my pennies ? is there a big wait for shipping ?

4-6 weeks typically, the site is Teruyasu.net

Don't forget to factor the import duty, VAT and clearance fee...around 25% + £15

thanks for posting ,so what knife did you end up going with if you dont mind me asking ?
i don't mind your asking, but the question should have been: what KNIVES did you end up with? :wink:

my first was a hattori fh, btw... since then, i've digged deeper into the knife-universe. the force has drawn me on the dark side! :spiteful:

I have a Yaxell Ran Santoku at home and fingered a 240 gyuto in a store for a while. Bear in mind that the massive micarta handle makes these knives rather handle heavy. This isn't necessarily bad, it simply depends on your preferences! The Ran santoku is my go-to knife for tough abuse or also for use on the wrong boards...

As you asked, I have bought several knives since my first J knife experience: DT, Shig, Marko, Hattori, Misono, Kochi, Zwilling Kramer, Akifusa, Masamoto, Hiromoto, ...

I have a Yaxell Ran Santoku at home and fingered a 240 gyuto in a store for a while. Bear in mind that the massive micarta handle makes these knives rather handle heavy. This isn't necessarily bad, it simply depends on your preferences! The Ran santoku is my go-to knife for tough abuse or also for use on the wrong boards...

As you asked, I have bought several knives since my first J knife experience: DT, Shig, Marko, Hattori, Misono, Kochi, Zwilling Kramer, Akifusa, Masamoto, Hiromoto, ...

hi and thanks for your replys .i did pop into store the other day and had a play with the gou ,must say it was very well centered with its balance.im still reaslly not sure what im going to do at the moment .i really do prefer the german style handle over the j handles as i find them far more comftable to work with

well in the end this is what i went for ,four new knife ,a variety of steels to see what i prefer ,also western and j style handles to see what i feel comftable with ,i will then buy a few more new knife once im happy with a certain knife style ,,what are your thoughts guys ?
https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/brands/kotetsu/iron-clad/petty-150mm#addToBasket
http://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-ta...scus-hammered-tsuchime-vegetable-knife-160mm/
http://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-ta...mascus-hammered-tsuchime-santoku-knife-180mm/
http://www.howtoresolved.com/public...D3sEm0/konosuke-ginsan-gyuto-210mm-quick-look

Good start! Did you source the Konosuke from the UK/EU?

Good start! Did you source the Konosuke from the UK/EU?

bought the konosuke from the us from chef knifes to go .really like the shape of the knife just not sure about the steel type but intresting to see how it performs .my favorite is the ironclad from cutting edge .it has the sg2/r2 steel i was intrested in and really like the j handle and shape.not bad considering i really wasnt intrested in j style handles at the start ..question is should i go with the factory edge ootb or should i put them straight on the stones and sharpen them myself ? i notice that a lot seem to reprofile straight from the box ?

Up to you really, I always use the ootb edge before putting them on the stones. I rarely thin the knives, the only exceptions being Shigefusa and Takeda.

Up to you really, I always use the ootb edge before putting them on the stones. I rarely thin the knives, the only exceptions being Shigefusa and Takeda.

so what are the resaons with the shigfuse and takeda mate ? im a long time chef but only just starting to get in to the quality knife area of the job/hobby

so what are the resaons with the shigfuse and takeda mate ? im a long time chef but only just starting to get in to the quality knife area of the job/hobby

The Shig was just too thick, the Takeda was very thin but the arrow head edge bothered me. They are now good both with cutting performance and edge retention...although I notice the Takeda always needs to move to show its true cutting ability. I am now waiting for a custom made Heiji to be delivered this week, it should be quite thick.

Still not convinced about Shigefusa so I'll be probably be moving it.

Back