How to cut a burl cap for blocks - Quick & Easy way

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
This is just a quick and easy to cut a burl cap into blocks.
The wood I am using is a maple burl cap.
To cut it I am using a 14 inch wood cutting bandsaw equipped with a fence.

This is the burl cap.
mb001.jpg

1st thing I did was cut a straight edge along one side following the grain in the wood.
mb002.jpg

This gives me a straight edge to go against the fence on my bandsaw. After that I cut the rest of the burl cap into strips.
mb003.jpg

mb004.jpg

For the next step I laid the slices on their sides and marked them to cut a straight edge.
mb005.jpg

mb006.jpg

Then I trimmed the straight edge.
mb007.jpg

mb008.jpg

This straight edge goes against the bandsaw fence and I cut strips the thickness I wanted for my blocks.
mb009.jpg

Now each of the slices have been cut into strips.
mb010.jpg

Finally I mark the strips where I want to make my cuts for blocks.
mb011.jpg

Then I cut the blocks.
mb012.jpg

I cut everything bigger than I need so I can do further trimming to remove any more flawed areas and show the best figure.

I would rather waste a lot of wood and get 6 really good blocks, than to cut just for quantity and get 12 mediocre blocks.

These blocks are not for sale. This was cut up only to show you guys an easy way to do the cutting if you come across a burl cap.

Awesome info Mark! Instead of "These blocks are not for sale. This was cut up only to show you guys an easy way to do the cutting if you come across a burl cap." it should read " then i box these up for shipping to Mike!!!

Thanks again for the great info! You do a great service for the entire knife making community, and as always it is greatly appreciated!!!!

Mike

Mark I realize this is and old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for this info! I was curious how burls were cut to make the fantastic blocks you sell us on your website! :goodpost:

Back