Media ChefSteps Butter to steak knife conversion video

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
Awesome little video with a great little idea for any knife enthusiast, go to an antique retailer/goodwill/ yard sale and buy some cool looking steak knives for a few bucks and than re-profile them into steak knives. From watching the video it seems like a project you could accomplish in a Saturday afternoon whilst is was raining. It looks to be a similar method to a standard tip repair which we have all done, or at least read about. I'd love to see what some of the pros could do in this area. I figured I would post this since I have seem a few steak knife threads and most of the worthwhile knife sets are pretty pricey.

Link

[video=youtube;Nr7uGXkKHBk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7uGXkKHBk[/video]

Cheers,
Evan

not a bad idea, but its unhardened steel so its still a butter knife with a steeper bevel on it. Beautiful prison shanks

We would not call them butter knives in Europe (butter spreaders are usually quite short and have a rounded tip) - they are just dinner knives. It is quite a nice idea though if you have the time and don't mind sharpening them quite often. Steak knives have a hard life as they are constantly used against porcelain.

We would not call them butter knives in Europe (butter spreaders are usually quite short and have a rounded tip)

those are relatively uncommon over here...but to keep things clear we call those: butter knives! :)

almost always people will use a dinner knife as a butter knife. If it's a formal meal, there will be a proper butter knife on the bread plate though.

Back