Quantcast
CAST IRON GRISWOLD - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CAST IRON GRISWOLD

Nice job!

oh yes! i knew a griswold thread had to exist

simply love cooking in these antique gems. I currently own a Block EPU #14 and #9 (block slant) with lid. I hope to expand my collection over time. I use my #9 every morning for breakfast

PS: Steeley i love your oven..

the #9

the #14

the only Griswold piece i own is a corn bread mold. not something i really use. it's very nicely cast. i do have a mid 19th century cast iron skillet that was made right here in Cincinnati that i enjoy, however.

That #9 has an awesome interior finish. You can really tell how much finer the surface is on the old Griswold pans compared to modern pans like Lodge. No comparison.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Yes the 9 looks really nice. My pan looks like crap but my apartment now has no kitchen hood and I've already set off my fire alarm (for the building!!) like 6 times.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    That #9 has an awesome interior finish. You can really tell how much finer the surface is on the old Griswold pans compared to modern pans like Lodge. No comparison.
    yea you are 100% right on that. you just cant compare at all. the best cast iron is pre 1940, thats when all the "good iron" was bieng used, as they call it. the #14 i use once a week or so so its not as oily / shiny.

Griswold is another dangerous addiction as well :|

The difference is on the finish.. no such thing as "good" iron. You can improve the Lodge pans by sanding them down. There was a blog post from the French Culinary Institute on that.

-AJ

I have one Griswold #7. I can't get a good enough seasoning on it to use it for eggs, however.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    The difference is on the finish.. no such thing as "good" iron. You can improve the Lodge pans by sanding them down. There was a blog post from the French Culinary Institute on that.

-AJ
    My apologies I misquoted I actually meant "good metal. and with regards to Griswold specifically i can quote the following:

"After 1940, much of the “good metal” was gone and the production of diminished quality cast iron was underway."

Also

"The company was in trouble by the 1940's for a variety of reasons. Many products were being introduced by other cookware companies that seemed more attractive to modern cooks. Problems within the company between management and employees widened, the quality of the products seemed to decline, and in 1957 the doors of GMC closed leaving 60+ employees without jobs."

-Talal

+ Reply to Thread