CAST IRON GRISWOLD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
Jim's post had me thinking were are my Cast Iron pans .
im000789.jpg
[/IMG]
im000790.jpg
[/IMG]

Where do you find the square eggs to cook in that skillet?

Thanks I pull those pans from this oven when i refurbished it.
im000579.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks Dave that wedgewood stove was some time ago but i still love it.
im000580.jpg
[/IMG]
and it keeps temp all day long

oh yes! i knew a griswold thread had to exist :)

simply love cooking in these antique gems. I currently own a Block EPU #14 and #9 (block slant) with lid. I hope to expand my collection over time. I use my #9 every morning for breakfast

PS: Steeley i love your oven..

the #9
IMGP5768.jpg

IMGP5770.jpg

IMGP5777.jpg

IMGP5779.jpg

the #14

IMGP5781.jpg

IMGP5785.jpg

the only Griswold piece i own is a corn bread mold. not something i really use. it's very nicely cast. i do have a mid 19th century cast iron skillet that was made right here in Cincinnati that i enjoy, however.

That #9 has an awesome interior finish. You can really tell how much finer the surface is on the old Griswold pans compared to modern pans like Lodge. No comparison.

That #9 has an awesome interior finish. You can really tell how much finer the surface is on the old Griswold pans compared to modern pans like Lodge. No comparison.

yea you are 100% right on that. you just cant compare at all. the best cast iron is pre 1940, thats when all the "good iron" was bieng used, as they call it. the #14 i use once a week or so so its not as oily / shiny.

Griswold is another dangerous addiction as well :|

The difference is on the finish.. no such thing as "good" iron. You can improve the Lodge pans by sanding them down. There was a blog post from the French Culinary Institute on that.

-AJ

I have one Griswold #7. I can't get a good enough seasoning on it to use it for eggs, however. :(

The difference is on the finish.. no such thing as "good" iron. You can improve the Lodge pans by sanding them down. There was a blog post from the French Culinary Institute on that.

-AJ

My apologies I misquoted I actually meant "good metal. and with regards to Griswold specifically i can quote the following:

"After 1940, much of the “good metal” was gone and the production of diminished quality cast iron was underway."

Also

"The company was in trouble by the 1940's for a variety of reasons. Many products were being introduced by other cookware companies that seemed more attractive to modern cooks. Problems within the company between management and employees widened, the quality of the products seemed to decline, and in 1957 the doors of GMC closed leaving 60+ employees without jobs."

-Talal

Thanks for the article AJ. I have been tempted to dump my Lodge cast iron in favor of a vintage Griswold from eBay, but perhaps I will keep working with it for a bit.

Thanks for the article AJ. I have been tempted to dump my Lodge cast iron in favor of a vintage Griswold from eBay, but perhaps I will keep working with it for a bit.

If you do decide to go that route, im well acquainted with a few members of a cast iron cookware club. I can point you to better deals than ebay :D

-Talal

Tabal, any availability for quality, 12" Skillet? Nice seasoning would be a big plus :)

They go by # usually. here is the chart

http://www.panman.com/sizecharts.html

let me know what # you are interested in and with or without a lid and ill hunt around for you. :)

PS: that #9 did not look like that initially, that took alot of TLC and Coconut oil!! lol

If you do decide to go that route, im well acquainted with a few members of a cast iron cookware club. I can point you to better deals than ebay

Thanks Talal. I may take you up on your generous offer one of these days. Looks like one could spend a pretty penny for a "good" one on eBay.

I have my Grandmothers #8 griswald pan, been tryng to get a lid for it for years. To cheap to pay shipping from Ebite...

They go by # usually. here is the chart

http://www.panman.com/sizecharts.html

let me know what # you are interested in and with or without a lid and ill hunt around for you. :)

PS: that #9 did not look like that initially, that took alot of TLC and Coconut oil!! lol

Thanka:)

#9 #10 or #11 sounds great. don't need a lip just would like a nice condition and have nice seasoning. thanks in advance :)

Thanks Talal. I may take you up on your generous offer one of these days. Looks like one could spend a pretty penny for a "good" one on eBay.

yea the ebay ones are almost double the price.

Griswold addiction is very dangerous .. and highly contagious ..

Latest posts

Back