Mesquite Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmysell

Reaction score
Not sure where this is suppose to go, so if it's not here I'm sorry.

If I was to use mesquite (Honey mesquite specifically) on a kitchen knife handle, would it need to be stabilized? I have heard different opinions about it in terms of not needing it, but it can help on hunting knives, but wasn't sure about it in a kitchen.

Almost all kitchen knives get used, washed, and repeat. As a general rule, if the wood will take stabilization then it should have it done.

I find it especially helpful on western handled knives. If scales warp, it's more annoying than if a wa handle warps (not that a wa handle is easy to warp since it's just a block of wood)

Honey Mesquite has a specific gravity of .82 at 12% MC. Specific Gravity is one of the key measurements I use to determine whether or not to stabilize. My cut off is usually around .80 so one could argue that Honey Mesquitedoes not need to be stabilized. Having said that, the best measurement I know is how the blank feels in my hand. Sometime I get dense oily woods that still feel light so I go ahead and have them stabilized anyway. In the business of wood for handles I rather be sure than have to wonder so I agree with Dave and suggest you have it stabilized.

Good question, because I also think it is just at the border. I have some Kiawe (=Hawaiian mesquite) that feels like ironwood, i.e. extremely dense, and I will use that as is. But I also have mainland mesquite that I would have stabilized first. As Dave said, when in doubt, have it stabilized.

Stefan

My gut sense is that mesquite doesn't need to be stabilized.
In the guitarbuilding world, it's considered a less-splitty version of ebony.
It's hard, tough on tools, and takes a great polish.

If you want it to be a beautiful heirloom piece and indestructible--get it stabilized.
For a working knife, I think you'll be fine. Just oil it every once in a while.

Back